jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you do when you can't sleep?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

What do you do when you can't sleep?

2. techygran profile image92
    techygranposted 5 years ago

Hi Leaderofmany...

When I can't seem to fall asleep I try a few different things: pray; do a hot and cold foot bath (a couple of minutes with both feet in a very warm basin, a couple minutes in very cold, and a couple more in very hot); do a very cold sponge bath to my trunk/chest and dry off-- the body goes to work trying to warm me up and then I usually fall asleep; a sort of progressive relaxation exercise where I "follow" any body sensations around... for example, if my toe has a twinge, I go there in my mind until I feel a little sensation in my tummy, or whatever... it actually doesn't go on for long, I think it might be self-hypnosis.  The next day I know what I have to do to fall asleep the next night for sure!  Dr. Rosemarie Loscalzo says that if you are sleep-deprived over a week's period (say that you are transitioning into a different work schedule), then it works to go to bed for a solid 12 hours 3 nights in a row... that means to settle into sleep at maybe 7pm and just stay in bed, pretending to sleep, room very dark, no noise (hah), maybe a sleep CD on, or someone in the family playing something peaceful on the piano (oh yeah)-- in any case, whether you sleep or not, the idea is that you do not get out of bed and you sleep as much as possible during that 12 hours for 3 nights... and then, apparently, the brain fog lifts, you lose weight, and feel tremendous.  I'm going to try this in a couple of weeks (when we don't have houseguests).

3. teamrn profile image68
    teamrnposted 5 years ago

When I can't sleep, (which is most of the time, unfortunately), I try progressive muscle relaxation exercise. I try warm milk, try NOT thinking about what may be the cause of my not sleeping, I try not thinning about the fact that I'm not asleep.

But, my doctor did say a long time ago that I should not say in bed longer than 20-40 minutes, if I'm unable to sleep. I ought to get up and relax and wait until I'm tired again and then go back to bed. But, when I've gotten up, I should watch what I do. No coffee, watching an old movie is ok, reading a book is ok (but not a heart-pounding thriller!).

Then, usually, I'm sufficiently tired after 1/2 hour and when I go to bed, I fall asleep right away.

4. TheOracleKing profile image56
    TheOracleKingposted 5 years ago

i'll read novel or watch a movie, I always find myself suitable that way.

5. Lohrainne Janell profile image72
    Lohrainne Janellposted 5 years ago

I get up and do some easy yoga, take a homeopathic remedy called Kali Phos 30 which relaxes the mind, and maybe some Melatonin drops (only 3, not too much) and by that time, I am ready for sleep!  It usually works.