jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

What type of medications are used to treat blood clots?

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

What type of medications are used to treat blood clots?

What are the side effects of these medications?

2. maggieju profile image61
    maggiejuposted 5 years ago

There are many types of anticoagulants that have been used to treat blood clots. They are as following,
    1, Vitamin K antagonists, for example Warfarin
    2, Heparin and derivative substances
    3, Synthetic pentasaccharide inhibitors of factor Xa, for example fondapatinux
    4, Direct Factor Xa inhibitors, such as rivaroxaban
    5, Direct thrombin inhibitors,  for example hirudin, lepirudin
    Some of the anticoagulants can cause bleeding problems.

3. CrescentSkies profile image86
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

Asprin is the most common one since it's a blood thinner. Anything that warns you about being a blood thinner can be used to treat blood clots to some extent or another.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Aspirin inhibits platelet aggregation. There really is no such thing as a "blood thinner." There are anticoagulants, such as heparin which inhibit clotting and there are "clot-busters" (thrombolytics) which dissolve clots.

4. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

Mostly blood thinners. Aspirin is one of the most common. They are mostly for prevention but there are also some heavy duty blood thinners that they use if you have one.

5. freecampingaussie profile image63
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

I was in hospital recently as the Dr thought I had a blood clot after an accident I had - which was scary , they gave me a needle in my stomach 3 days in a row ( I hate needles ) but I can't remember what it was they gave me - not asprin tho !

1. profile image49
      joffreposted 5 years agoin reply to this

it was low molecular heparin

6. Jojosi profile image61
    Jojosiposted 5 years ago

You could also try using garlic, ginger, poplar or cod liver oil.

7. donabhatt profile image73
    donabhattposted 5 years ago

Medications which are commonly or popularly used for correcting blood clots include aspirin and clopidogrel  an oral antiplatelet agents, heparin  which is regarded as a blood thinner and anticoagulant, and clot busters  which are thrombolytic agents.

8. nknavneet kumar65 profile image57
    nknavneet kumar65posted 5 years ago

you should drink cow urine to treat your blood clots and it has no side effects

1. brittvan22 profile image81
      brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, sounds like a tasty little mix. (lol)

9. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 5 years ago

I am no doctor, so I am hesitant in even mentioning this; however, (I did stay at a Holiday Inn once) when I was in a coma, a surgeon installed a Vena-cava filter where my leg arteries meet near my stomach. I understand this is not medicine (i.e. Heparin) although, I have found this to be a wonderful and logical solution to blood clotting in legs (at least). Any clots that do form have no chance of risng above the filter...