jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

For those with bad knees or hips, how do you workout?

1. T. R. Brown profile image77
    T. R. Brownposted 5 years ago

For those with bad knees or hips, how do you workout?

When you can't run, you are certainly limited in your options.  How do you stay in shape?

2. freecampingaussie profile image64
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

We have a swimming pool at the caravan park . That is a great form of exercise with 2 bad knees .It has been far too hot & humid for any other exercise here !

3. Victoria Anne profile image96
    Victoria Anneposted 5 years ago

The elliptical is a good replacement for running. It's easy on the knees since there's no impact.

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image97
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

I have osteoarthritis in ALL of my joints. My knees, hips and neck are the most affected. So, I use my kinect. I have a Your Shape Fitness Evolved and UFC Personal Trainer both of which allow me to pick and choose what exercises I want to do. I can easily stay away from high impact exercise like jumping jacks, or sumo jumps which is how I injured my knees to begin with.

UFC Trainer makes it very easy to workout without involving the knees as much as you might think. Most of the training is upper body. There are agility exercises that involve jumping and other exercises that are hard on the knees, but these can easily be avoided.

I've created my own workout routine using both games, and I've lost 70lbs. So it can be done, you just have to get creative.

5. rcrm89 profile image59
    rcrm89posted 5 years ago

Still plenty of options available...low impact exercises like elliptical, boxing, swimming, upper body ergometer, cycling, rowing and resistance training (you may be limited by exercises with deep knee bends, but upper body exercises and perhaps hip hinge exercises should be OK).