jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does protein help muscle recovery?

1. romper20 profile image86
    romper20posted 5 years ago

Does protein help muscle recovery?

I am extremely sore from this past week and I am wondering if protein will help relieve some of the soreness?

2. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 5 years ago

yes, protein is how your body rebuilds after damage. L-glutamine is probably the best one you can take. also Creatine helps your body recover faster.

3. cryptid profile image99
    cryptidposted 5 years ago

This is a tough one.  Firstly, protein will not keep you from being sore after a workout.  DOMS is a whole different issue.  However, as I'm sure you already know, protein is one of the key ingredients in building muscle after a workout.  Experts disagree on how much and how quickly you need protein after a workout to best facilitate recovery.  Some recommend delaying a meal to allow your blood sugar level to sink and encourage a natural boost of HGH post-workout.  But most will say you need at least some protein as soon as possible after a workout.  In my own experience, I think the latter is probably true.  A healthy dose of protein and carbs after a workout is a good thing. I like to have glass of  milk plus a banana with peanut butter myself.  Or, sometimes I make a protein drink with chocolate protein powder, a banana and a scoop of peanut butter. Yum!  Seems to hit the spot, get me the protein I need, plus some carbs.

4. whonunuwho profile image77
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

you must restore fluid and electrolytes, reduce muscle and immune stress, glycogen is needed, and rebuild muscle protein. Yes, protein is a great help to re-building muscle cells and strength. it has been found that 20 t0 25 grams of protein in the form of high performance shakes or other drinks, can be of benefit, yet "over taking" protein in larger quantities has more of a negative effect. One should limit the intake of protein supplements, to right after physical exertion and not before.

5. Sparkle Chi profile image74
    Sparkle Chiposted 5 years ago

Protein is what the body uses to grow your muscles, but I am not sure how effective it is in relieving soreness.
    I find that green juice is a great for soreness, and works as well after the fact as drinking some beforehand.

Some high quality fat, like from avocado, is also helpful in relieving muscle soreness. The fat helps to bind up toxins that are being released, which can be contributing to the soreness. You can read the truth about fats at my hub about it. http://sparklechi.hubpages.com/hub/Fat- … It-Is-Good

Valerian root is wonderful for relaxing the muscles, which can help relieve the soreness.

And of course, a heating pad or hot water bottle can help relax the muscles, while a cold pack can reduce the swelling.

working