jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)

How do you feel when you see a really fat person?

1. lav-senior profile image61
    lav-seniorposted 5 years ago

How do you feel when you see a really fat person?

I find it really frustrating and disgusting that people would let themselves get that way. Especially if I'm in shopping and you see their trolleys full of salty, rubbishy, high in saturated fats foods. No vegetables or fruit or even lean meats- just doughnuts and the contents of the freezer counter. It really does turn my stomach. You just want to scream at them "put down the fork and get walking!" But I know that's incredibly hurtful and then I feel guilty for even thinking it about someone.

2. chamilj profile image61
    chamiljposted 5 years ago

I feel really sorry about fat people. They can control it if they want.

3. jamesrk profile image43
    jamesrkposted 5 years ago

I feel sad because that person is on a path that can only lead them to future health problems like diabetes and heart-related issues. I'm not sure that anyone really wants to be fat, but it seems to be a vicious cycle. They eat to "escape" their condition, yet only worsen it because they eat. Hopefully they will consider the issue and understand that something really can be done to deal with if if they choose.

4. worldonedigital profile image44
    worldonedigitalposted 5 years ago

Great Question!  I feel a Sense of Compassion for them.  Sometimes the weight is really not the core issue.  Many times they struggle with issues causing them to overeat.  They may struggle with Depression, Childhood Trauma, Low Self-Esteem, etc. So, I would have to say I feel a Sense of Compassion.     http://worldonedigital.hubpages.com/hub … eight-Loss

5. Thek1ngsway profile image77
    Thek1ngswayposted 5 years ago

Well the way i see it , you either choose to be fat through a tradeoff (giving up health and good looks and getting to enjoy more and tastier meals) or you are fat because there is smth wrong with how your body works . in the former you are a weak person and in the latter you are a sick person . either way i dont mind really ...

6. profile image0
    SkeetyDposted 5 years ago

I usually have a feeling of curiousity when I see a really fat person.  First I think, Wow! that person is really huge.  Then I think, Did they get that way because of their poor food choices or lack of choice or did they just eat everything they could get their hands on and not exercise.  Then I think, Perhaps it's not their fault.  Maybe the weight gain was caused by medication or some other medical mishap.

7. luisj305 profile image85
    luisj305posted 5 years ago

I feel real skinny and in good shape, even though I am not. It allows me to realize how much all the visits to the gym really do help, along with the diets, even though I NEVER THINK THEY DO ANYTHING!~!

8. Gregoryy profile image61
    Gregoryyposted 5 years ago

Some people do not like healthy foods, and some people do not have knowledge on what foods to stay away from. Even the person with knowledge of healthy foods may choose the unhealthy food instead. An orange can cost 88 cents, but are you going to buy the orange or the bag of chips.  Are you going to buy the bottle of soda for 1.50 or the gallon of water for under a dollar. The Onion for 99 cents, or the dollar menu at Mc Donald's.  Many times nutritious food is not about money or knowledge rather more will power, and self control. 2/3 most Americans are overweight right now. When I see a fat person, I see them as the norm, as they are the norm the average american is overweight. A person in great shape seems rarer in today's society.     Neither meat, fat or carbs is what makes people fat, rather the over consumption of calories.  Even if you are vegan and found a way to eat 5,000 calories a day in fruits and vegetables, without burning it through physical activity  you will probably gain fat overtime.

1. lav-senior profile image61
      lav-seniorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

See I'm Irish so for us obesity isn't yet the norm. The idea of having a BMI of 30 or more- in fact 25 or more would send me in to a state of panic so when I see people who have let themselves get like that, I am halfway between baffled & disgust

9. BestCrispAir profile image80
    BestCrispAirposted 5 years ago

I don't "feel" one way or the other when I see a person who is larger than me. There are many medical issues that can force a persons' body size to be large. PCOS is a perfect example of that.
    Additionally, I really try hard to not judge others. Life is hard enough as it is. Relax and show compassion.

10. anglnwu profile image90
    anglnwuposted 5 years ago

I feel bad for them. I know sometimes, they can help themselves, especially if there is a underlying medical conditions. If they eat themselves to that size, it's must be difficult too--changing old habits.

11. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

I find it absolutely disgusting in every way.  The lack of dignity, the bad health, the discomfort that's apparent by the huffing and puffing and sweating--it's just sick.  There is something wrong with the mentality that would allow obesity to happen.  Whether it's low self-esteem or a lack of motivation, I don't know, but what's for sure is that the majority of cases are entirely preventable with a little effort and dietary changes.

12. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 5 years ago

In a state of near amazement when an extremely, and i mean extremely obese person is spotted on a crowed beach with the barest of bodily coverings and legs spread wide open to the world like an Olympic gymnast. It really boggles the mind, and the eyes..

working