jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

How does one keep from biting the tongue when asleep?

1. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

How does one keep from biting the tongue when asleep?

Recently when I wake up now my tongue is sore or even cut from having bitten it. How can tongue-biting be avoided? What treatment is best for cuts on the tongue?

2. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

Rinse with salt water or listerene. I find salt water more tolerable. As for me I clench my teeth all night so I do not bite my tongue. I do wake up with headaches tho.......

Ms Deeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! A mouthwash that has alcohol in it does help with healing, I find.

3. tlmcgaa70 profile image76
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

go to the sports department of any store like walmart or like...they sell teeth guards...or maybe they are even called tongue guards. football players wear them. you sometimes must first soak them in warm or hot water to soften them so that when you first put them in your mouth they will be soft enough to mold to the shape of your teeth and mouth. then when you go to bed put in in your mouth and it helps keep you from clenching and grinding in your sleep.

Thanks for the tip! So a mouth guard does actually help teeth grinding. I guess this could then keep you from biting the tongue.

4. LA Elsen profile image84
    LA Elsenposted 5 years ago

Ouch! I feel your pain Ms. Dee.
    I guess you first have to ask yourself why you bite your tongue.
    I used to grind and clench my teeth. This is a problem I have tried to overcome since childhood. Sometimes my tongue gets caught in the process and I wake up with cuts. I would check with my dentist to see if that is what may be happening because you could also have a grinding or an underlying jaw issue that may lead to dental problems down the road. I cracked two healthy teeth because of grinding. I would also try a mouth guard. If you don't want the type used in sports there are some sold over the counter in drug stores that work just fine too. I feel for you. Good luck and take care of that tongue.

Thanks for your thoughts! Have you tried an OTC mouth guard? Has it helped you?

2. LA Elsen profile image84
      LA Elsenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes but I had TMJ along with other jaw issues that required a custom guard. The otc guard worked well, but not as durable as the one from my dentist.

3. Ms Dee profile image85

LA Elsen, Thanks! Helpful to know it worked well, though you ended up needing one from your dentist.

5. penlady profile image60
    penladyposted 5 years ago

tlmcgaa70 is right ... use a teeth guard. However, for me they're uncomfortable.

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image76
      tlmcgaa70posted 5 years agoin reply to this

yes, they ARE uncomfortable for me to...but sometimes the uncomfort outweighs the pain of bitten tongues.. finding the reasons for grinding and clenching is a big help to, like the stresses in your daily life. try to  cut out as much stress as you c

working