jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How dangerous is the mercury in cfl bulbs?

  1. arizonataylor profile image81
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

    How dangerous is the mercury in cfl bulbs?

  2. gail641 profile image70
    gail641posted 5 years ago

    Mercury is a neurotoxin that can cause kidney and brain damage. The bulbs are safe as long as the mercury is contained, but the bulb eventually gets old or damaged, then the mercury could leak out and pose a health risk. A small amount of mercury could pollute water or the environment. Bulbs should be handled carefully and disposed of properly.

  3. Minnetonka Twin profile image89
    Minnetonka Twinposted 5 years ago

    What makes me nervous is we can't know how people will dispose of them. I was nervous the minute I heard about these bulbs and the possible dangers with them.

  4. Dr. Haddox profile image79
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

    The two previous writers have answered this question, concerning the dangers of Hg (that is, mercury) in bulbs very effectively. I will not add any more details or confusing scientific information to complicate things. However, please do read, carefully the information in the two answers that were written before me, and you should be up to date on how to use and get rid of these bulbs. Good luck.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

  5. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

    Yes, it is dangerous and care should be taken when disposing it. In contact with your hands or any part of your skin can allow it to penetrate into your body which is harmful.

  6. ithabise profile image86
    ithabiseposted 5 years ago

    Mercury is always dangerous. Should a CFL bulb breaks, it is important to get doors and windows open because the mercury contained is in vapor form. Further, proper disposal is easier than most people think: You can take them to your local Lowe's or Home Depot. They have recycle bins for the bulbs.

  7. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

    Actually, I wrote an entire hub on the subject of CFL bulbs:  http://faceless39.hubpages.com/hub/CFL- … bs-Exposed

    It's amazing what passes as "acceptable" in this day and age.  No amount of mercury is safe or healthy.

  8. lone77star profile image85
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

    Any mercury is hazardous. The toxin is cumulative and adversely affects the brain. When I learned about the symptoms, I discovered that I had all of them. How did I get mercury? I've always been careful with the bulbs, but I have teeth fillings with mercury silver amalgam. I've also received vaccinations and later discovered they had preservatives made of a mercury compound. Yikes!

    There is an elite few who are actively taking over America. And they want to dumb down the population so that their theft will go unchallenged. So far, it seems to be working pretty good.

    We were fooled about 9/11 and we hardly whimpered about the Trillions of dollars in bailouts (some of it going overseas to foreign banks)!

    The good news is that the bad hats slow down or stop their evil when we shine a light on their activities. Evil can't stand the light, but it thrives in ignorance. So don't ignore this!

    The Corporate Party media kool-aid won't tell you what's going on. The nightly news is part of the problem. Living outside the States for 5 years, I now know this to be true. I've been weaned of the poison.

    Here's some of Obama's treason being revealed by Ben Swann, WXIX Fox19:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJ_g9BUK2w

    And here's a longer video by Alex Jones about the overall agenda of the Rockefellers and their buddies:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VebOTc-7shU

    Yes, mercury poisoning is part of their plan. Makes me sick to think of the betrayal, but it's better to be warned and active than ignorant and immobile.

 
working