Anyone else think this light bulb ban is BS?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (20 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 11 years ago

Anyone else think this light bulb ban is BS?

The new energy efficient light bulbs (Them ugly spiral things) make my husband get horrible migraines and make me dizzy and sick to my stomach. They just put them in at work and he has been sick since. Why are they outlawing safe bulbs for ones that hurt people and make them sick!? I refuse to use them. When they stop making the other ones, I will go without light at night. They make both of us feel awful! Energy saving my butt! They suck the life out of us!

2. xanzacow profile image59
    xanzacowposted 11 years ago

So, you're not using as much energy if you are ill. I think it is rediculous that they are switching them like that. The old light bulbs, if you break them, might give you a nasty cut. These new ones, if you break them, can kill you! Yes! Absolutely BS!

ii3rittlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know! They are filled with mercury! They will probably end up giving people cancer. They bypassed all the side effects and pushed to ban the production of standard bulbs..They can kiss my butt! I am NOT using them things in my house!

3. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
    Gcrhoads64posted 11 years ago

There is no federal light bulb ban.
    If your state has one, maybe you and your husband should consider relocating. smile

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/im … w-14789203

They are banning the standard house bulbs all over the US so businesses and homes are forced into using them mercury filled spiral pieces of crap. lol By ban, I mean banning the production of them.

4. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

Proper lighting is really important especially if someone's work requires focusing on a workspace or computer. This requires not only proper direct lighting on the workspace but also proper lighting from the side and overhead. Too much light coming into your periphery, and/or glare problems, can cause eye strain just the same as improper direct lighting. Your husband should check to see if the lighting levels for any of the replaced lights have changed. CFLs (the ugly spiral things) should list their lumen output on the package.

The other thing that can be checked is the color of the light. Incandescents (regular bulbs) generally have a yellowish light, while CFLs can vary. A lot of newer ones are bluish or white. Its possible the color change might bother him as well.

There really shouldn't be anything about the bulb itself that is bothering him, but I suppose anything's possible. It seems more likely to me that it is an issue with improper light levels. Another option would be to consider getting LED lights (or asking the employer to). They should put out light similar to incandescents. They are newer, so still expensive, but are supposed to last a very long time.

As for the ban, I agree we needed new lighting and switching to CFLs will probably be an overall net positive. Still, them having mercury is a mistake, especially since they haven't really developed any sort of reclamation program. I suspect LEDs will overtake them pretty quickly.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
      Gcrhoads64posted 11 years agoin reply to this

LED will become more popular as the prices come down. BTW, fluorescent bubs have had mercury in them for a long time.

5. barbat79 profile image63
    barbat79posted 11 years ago

Yes I agree,  we should be able to choose for ourselves!  Are we in America anymore?

Personally I love tea lights!!!!

6. John Jason Hosac profile image60
    John Jason Hosacposted 11 years ago

I think the new CFL lights are garbage as well and while they may save some energy they carry their own downsides. Like you mentioned about the making you feel awful, it is known that fluorescent light can drain the body of vitamins so yes it is very true that they suck the life out of you. They also contain mercury so disposal is a nightmare and that fact alone really negates the energy savings from an environmental stand point.

If you feel like it is worth it, I would check out the LED bulbs. They use even less energy than CFL and do not contain harmful chemicals and do not have the effects on the body like florescence either. They are much more expensive but last longer than CFL or traditional bulbs so the cost difference might be offset by these two factors if they last as long as they are supposed to.

I am going to look into this! Thank you!

7. MarieAlana1 profile image68
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

These light bulbs have lots of mercury in them. When trying to use low lighting in a child's room they are not the ideal. It can cause them brain damage.

8. profile image0
    itsjustnormitaposted 11 years ago

I certainly do, I like the old bulbs, they are brighter and are good heat lamps for chickens, other small pets, also indoor plants.

9. profile image0
    Pamdoraposted 11 years ago

The ban is a thousand percent B.S.  Curly fry light bulbs, as well as other flourescent bulbs, give me seizures if I'm under their light for too long.  If I'm in Walmart for more than an hour at a time, I'm in trouble.  There have been boo coo studies done that document the adverse health impact for office workers forced to work under flourescent lights.  There's mercury in the flourescents that's deadly if not properly disposed of.  The cost benefits aren't always real; my husband and I experimented with some of the flourescents once (only where I wouldn't be exposed to them for long periods), and they burned out faster than the incandescents we'd used for years.

We'll never, ever, EVER use flourescents in our home again.

10. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Encouragement to switch to a more energy-efficient way of life is one thing, to force it through government bans is ridiculous! Yes, I agree that it is BS, esp. when the product is more toxic and will be mishandled by the majority.This is a perfect example of the maxim "to cut off your nose to spite your face."

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

I agree with how terrible these bulbs are. I bought a huge amount of good old Edisons, but I am getting low. I will not buy the curly fry bulbs. I will sit in the dark if I have to ...with tea lights!
    It is obviously some sort of politically inspired nonsense.
    I agree the light is bad. I hate led light as well. I can only handle Edison style-bulb light: mellow and non irritating to eye and brain. I wish we could bring back production of them.
    And no... I, for one, did not give anyone permission to kill them.
    We should not BUY mercury filled bulbs. NOT ONE!

12. Radical Rog profile image70
    Radical Rogposted 11 years ago

The argument, we are told, is about energy efficiency, but are these things more efficient? They cost more to make and don't last as long as claimed they would. They contain deadly chemicals and because of this, should be disposed of as hazardous waste, not just added to the normal trash. This is harmful to the environment and in the long term, will probably come back to haunt future generations. Then, if one breaks, you're meant to launch a complete haz-mat scenario to clear the area and have it decontaminated.
    I think that its just another scheme that allows big business to make a lot of money out of us poor schmucks that have to use these horrible things.

13. The Unlearner profile image68
    The Unlearnerposted 11 years ago

A woman in the US was charged over a $1000 to have her broken energy saving light bulb removed because of its mercury content. Yes they do omit harmful chemicals into your living space. I get nausea and headaches because of them, I refuse to purchase them, and think it is criminal that we are being forced into replacing the old bulbs ( which can be safely disposed of and recycled) with those nasty EF bulbs.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I concur.

14. Admiral Murrah profile image67
    Admiral Murrahposted 11 years ago

I agree that the shift to the CFL bulbs is problematic and unnecessary. Where I live, we still have some 100 watt light bulbs for sale, which I am thankful for. The lawmakers who pass such laws are often more interested in the special interest groups who 'donate' to their campaign than to the needs and wishes of the people who they represent. The whole light bulb issue may make the politicians feel good since they did something green, it makes the green groups happy since they spread misery and make money yet such laws and policies leave the people sick, broke and ill due to the health effects and costs. I often hate going to people's homes that have the energy saving bulbs bulbs since they make me ill with migraines as well. They often gloat about their carbon footprint savings, and think that they are better people for using the bulbs. In my mind they are running people off and making the ones that visit sick.

If they want to live a 'green life' I say let them. I think it is wrong to force their beliefs and values on others. Forcing others to do so is selfish and inconsiderate. Using the government, whether through the courts or law to coerce others into their lifestyles of unhealthy lightbulbs is also wrong. I would not want people to force other values or beliefs on me against my will, no matter how they say it is good for me.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What can we do to bring them back??? I am about out of the ones I stocked up on!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)