jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) Raise OR Lower Testosterone levels in Men?

1. CCahill profile image82
    CCahillposted 5 years ago

Does Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) Raise OR Lower Testosterone levels in Men?

2. Dr Pran Rangan profile image88
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 5 years ago

Evening primrose oil has mainly gamma linoleic acid (GLA), which is a omega-6 fatty acid and its pharmaceutical preparations may also contain magnesium, selenium, ginseng and vit. B-complex. GLA prevents hardening of arteries, heart diseases and enhances release of sex hormones like testosterone and estrogen. GLA is also anti-inflammatory.

So evening primrose oil is likely to raise testosterone levels in men but it should be taken on the advice of a clinician.

But evening primrose oil cannot be substituted for testosterone replacement therapy, which some patients of testosterone deficiencey need.

3. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 5 years ago

Evening Primrose oil has been used to treat arthritic pains, Pre-menstrual tension and menopause by herbal practitioners from medieval times. There have been many scientific trials in recent years to attempt to elicit this claim.

However despite anecdotal evidence none of the trials showed that they had any proven benefit. It is likely that as PMS and menopause have variable symptoms there is a large degree of placebo effect in helping hot flashes or breast pain. It does not show any alteration in oestrogen or testosterone in test subjects and should not be relied to do this.

As evening primrose comes under the category of supplemental agent it is not governed by the same stringent guidance and approval for drugs so manufacturers are free to claim that it has more benefits than it does and sell large quantities to the unsuspecting public.

In ancient times the extract of evening primrose was called 'kings cureall' where many believed it helped a lot of diseases including eczema,heart, arthritis, pregnancy problems, PMS, menopause, breast pain etc. it is likely these beliefs stuck and as it is cheap to produce and can be sold at a profit ... There may be some benefits to taking Gamoleneic acid but definitely not raise testosterone based on current evidence.

4. Healthyannie profile image84
    Healthyannieposted 5 years ago

I never recommend Evening Primrose Oil to men as this can cause prostate problems such as BNP. A good supplement for men is Saw Palmetto and zinc.

5. steveso profile image79
    stevesoposted 5 years ago

Evening Primrose Oil is widely used for a number of aiments, including skin disorders, arthritis,high cholesterol, osteoporosis and mastalgia. There is, however little or no proof that is is effective in any of these ailments, except for possibly mastalgia. There is no connection at all with testosterone levels. If you have low testosterone, be very carfeful about taking testosterone injections or supplemenation as this could be very detrimental to your prostate, either aggrevating a condition of BPH or even raising your risks for prostate cancer.

6. WalterPoon profile image80
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

I don't know anything about Evening Primrose Oil. All I know is that evenings raise my testosterone levels, LOL.

7. Natalie Haywood profile image47
    Natalie Haywoodposted 2 months ago

I would say that using EPO suits for this aim. More effective are strength training and proper nutrition. https://steroidssaleguide.com/how-to-in … e-hormone/ - here's detailed info about increasing testosterone level naturally.

working