This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What would you do to assure your child stays abstinent through their teen years?

1. thehowto profile image57
    thehowtoposted 5 years ago

What would you do to assure your child stays abstinent through their teen years?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I don't in all honesty think we can enforce abstinence.  All we can do as parents is teach responsibility and discuss open and frankly sexuality and its consequences.  Most people squirm away from the issue or act like its something to be embarassed about or that it's "icky" and that I think can cause kids to satisfy their curiosity through exploration rather than honest dialogue with parents. 

I also think our "abstinence only" sex education is a joke.  People are more apt to make responsible choices when they have all the facts - not when they are lectured about "just don't do it".  The best we can do is arm our kids with all the proper information and then hope it sticks and that they make sound choices.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

Aside from keeping them locked in the cellar till they reach legal drinking age, there's probably not much you can do realistically.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Teens have free will. There is nothing you can do to keep them from having sex if they want to. Unless you plan to lock them up and keep them away from the rest of the world. A parent's best hope is to instill values early on and make sure your kids feel comfortable enough to talk to you about anything.
    Odds are most teens will have some type of sex. It is that period in their life where hormones are raging and many them also believe they are in love with the person they will some day marry. You also have a lot more media outlets, young celebrities, music. movies/television shows which promote sexuality more than ever.
    Personally speaking I think you have better odds of preventing teen pregnancy or getting STDs by having conversations regarding safe sex. I grew up during the 70s BEFORE there was MTV or Hip/hop music and I had sex as a teen as well as most of the teens I knew in high school. (My mother was super strict!)

working