jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

A family member suffering from cancer is electing not to undergo chemotherapy. I

1. grumpiornot profile image71
    grumpiornotposted 5 years ago

A family member suffering from cancer is electing not to undergo chemotherapy. Is this silly?

Many other members of the family do not believe in homeopathy and natural medicine for chronic illness. Should they even have a say or is the patient's election the only consideration?

2. healthylife2 profile image91
    healthylife2posted 5 years ago

I believe the ultimate decision is that of the patient. Natural medicine has been successful in some cases and so has western medicine. I think it is important that the decision is an informed decision so family members can be helpful in gathering medical information on the pros and cons of both so the patient can make their own decision. I chose to go through chemotherapy and wrote a hub about that but made my own decision. No one including the doctors has a crystal ball so each person has to make their own decision based on the information available to them. The important thing is to support the patient regardless of their decision and to understand they need to have control over how to handle their illness as it is very stressful.

grumpiornotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the insight - it seems that a combination of the two is also possible i.e. healthy adjusted diet to compensate for the challenges of chemo...

2. healthylife2 profile image91
      healthylife2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes..the combination is a third option and the one I chose to follow. I am working every day to build my immune system even stronger than it was previously. Sending strength and good wishes to the patient and family!

3. joanwz profile image76
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

The patient is the one suffering from cancer, and therefore, is the ultimate decisionmaker in his or her own care and treatment. The family should respect his or her decision. THey should lover and and care for the patient no matter which way things turn out.

Thanks Joan - I am sure that you're right. It is pretty difficult if to understand at time. The "correct" treatment, I suppose, must be the one with which the patient is comfortable.

4. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I believe that each patient must decide for himself or herself, and also decide how they will decide. Some will be open to family members' views, others not, and others, open at one time, and not at another.

I recommend that the patient and the family do some reading together. Love, Medicine, and Miracles by Dr. Bernie Siegel (a cancer surgeon) recommends that each client makes his or her choices of alternative and mainstream therapy. An amazing book by psychologist Larry LeShan shows a 50% complete recovery rate from terminal cancer through psychotherapy alone!

5. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

No, I don't think it's silly. It is up to the patient to decide. Hopefully, it will be a well- informed decision and the team of caregivers will be on board with encouragement, support, effective pain relief, and respect for medical directives.

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Why would it be silly to avoid more suffering? If you know what chemotherapy actually does to the person's body from the bones to the hair, you have to consider it very carefully. My mother had a fatal cancer and we opted not to have chemotherapy-she died within a month. My sister-in-law's mother who fell ill of the same exact cancer was kept in hospital doing chemotherapy. She died in three months. The difference is that my mother did not suffer more and needlessly and was with her grandchildren in our home. Whereas the other woman was in a cold hospital suffering from the chemotherapy side-effects and constantly asking to go home.

Chemotherapy is a solution when there is a chance of survival and the patient decides that's what he/she wants. I know that I will not have chemotherapy should I fall ill with cancer.

Great answer and thanks for sharing the personal experience.

7. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

The path to healing must be left up to the individual - it is his/her life and that boundary should be respected.  Chemotherapy often makes the person more sick than the cancer itself.  There are natural treatments that are effective that we are not allowed to discuss because of FDA rules and regulations.  Cancer is treated all over the world, and not all countries use chemo and radiation as the primary treatment as we do, but as a treatment of last resort.  Many said countries have large populations of healthy people. 

Eating clean, restoring a proper pH to the body, and various natural remedies can be used instead of or alongside modern medicines.  It is entirely up to the person battling the cancer how they feel and how they want to proceed.  I would never want to spend what could be the end of my life undergoing Chemo - I've seen what it has done to family members of mine who ultimately died anyway.  It's a tough decision and not one someone should feel guilty for in any way due to pressure from others who mean well, but frankly are not living the experience themselves.

8. artist101 profile image71
    artist101posted 5 years ago

I cannot nor would I ever tell any one what to do, I can only offer my advice and personal experience. My sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer, fought it and won with natural treatment.
    This is what she used: Beta Glucans, garlic, and medicinal mushrooms. All effective
    She has been cancer free for 15 years, after years of chronic infections, and female problems.
    Along with a yeast, and sugar free diet.
    Cancer is a fungus. Yeast, and sugar only feed it, adapting to this diet, would be my first step. My article on Beta glucans, and cancer. http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/Is-it … or-allergy

9. tamarawilhite profile image94
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

This depends on the treatments they are using. Someone receiving radiation treatment may not see a benefit from doing chemo, too. If someone had a tumor removed and it probably did not spread, they may choose to skip chemo because it does create a risk of other, later types of cancer.

10. Charlu profile image82
    Charluposted 5 years ago

I just lost a great friend and former coworker (7 yrs) two weeks ago from cancer who had chosen  no treatment, not even oxygen.  One might think that it was his age, being 81, but that was not the case at all.

He was one of the smartest men I've ever known, with a heart and smile that would light up a room.  When I went to see him again (the day before he passed) he was arguing with the nurses about not having oxygen.  You see they were going to transfer him to another hospital for rehab and treatments, which he didn't want either. His children were devastated, but respected his wishes.

He was always a man of dignity and everyone respected him for the person he was.  A month earlier (before they knew he had stage 4 lung cancer) he told me that if this was his time he wanted to go with dignity and be at peace.  He did not want his children, friends, and loved ones to see him suffer and be in pain He didn't even want a service because he didn't want us to suffer, but remember the happy times .  He also thought that the money from his insurance could be used in much more productive ways.

What an incredible, selfless, loving man and how could anyone call that silly.

11. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

A person who has cancer needs to have the support of their friends and loved ones (even if they disagree with their treatment choices). Anyone whose immune system is attacked needs to be uplifted to help their body to be able to fight the cancer cells. If they are surrounded by drama and arguing, it will be much harder for them to have the right frame-of-mind.

It is ultimately the patient's decision. Depending on their relationship with their family, they may or may not listen to any advice, especially if the advice is unsolicited. If a family member offers advice or asks questions and is turned down, they should accept it and just be there to offer encouragement, support, and a helping hand in any way they can.

working