jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can anyone give me some advice on what foods to avoid if you have fibromyalgia?

1. lindalou1963 profile image75
    lindalou1963posted 5 years ago

Can anyone give me some advice on what foods to avoid if you have fibromyalgia?

I am a fibromyalgia sufferer and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice on diet? I read a hub about the condition and I noticed several folks mentioned how diet has helped their symptoms. I'll do some research, but I would be interested in any advice if you have some to share!! Thank you!

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Hi Lindalou,
    I'm sorry if you are a sufferer of fibromyalgia. Here are some tips on diet.
    Try to eat whole foods as much as possible- the less processing, the better. Stay away from sugary drinks, incl fruit juice, processed meats ie. sandwich meat and bacon, and avoid simple carbs. w/ refined sugars. Replace  white rice, russet potatoes, pasta, and white bread with whole grains and quinoa. Eat lots of  fruits and vegetables, fatty fish, lean meat, olive oil, flax seed meal (add to smoothies and cereal), avocados, and things rich in omega-3s. Drink tea instead of coffee ( 1 c per day is ok), lots of water, and limit alcohol to the occasional glass of wine. Kefir, yoghurt, and fermented cheeses are fine if you choose to eat dairy. Papaya and pineapple are good sources of anti-inflammatories, but are high in sugar. There are papain/bromelain supplements in chewable form. I hope this helps smile

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have fairly severe fibromyalgia (it impedes my walking tremendously) and I have not found diet changes the pain levels.  What I do find is that a lot of rest helps the pain levels.  On nights I don't sleep well, the following day I hurt head to toe as if I have been beaten up.  If I get a good solid night's sleep, it is really helpful.

4. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 5 years ago

There are no studies or research that have shown all people with Fibromyalgia should avoid certain types of food. Everyone with Fibromyalgia have different pains and sensitivities to particular things. I would recommend keeping a daily journal of what you eat and any symptoms (fatigue, indigestion, headache, irritable bowel symptoms, etc.) that come along with what you eaten.

5. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

I wrote a hub on hormone balance that could be helpful to you. It is called Hormone Gone Wild. If you are wondering what hormones would have to do with fibrmyalgia, you will most likely learn a lot from my hub. Hormone balance impacts everything. Look at the chart and see if you have 4 or more of the symptoms listed. If you do, your hormones may be unbalanced and you could benefit from help in this area (along with your fibromyalgia symptoms).

As far as diet, stay away from anything that causes inflammation or an immune response. Try an elimination diet. Eliminate wheat, dairy, and soy (along with any other foods that are a known allergy for you). Eat only whole foods- think fresh fruits, veggies, meats, and eggs (organic). As you reintroduce foods slowly and one at a time, note if you have symptoms that reappear. I wrote a hub called Detox: The Catalyst to Stalled Weight Loss that talks about this subject more.

Wishing you the best! ~ fitmom

6. artist101 profile image71
    artist101posted 4 years ago

Avoiding the night shade family of foods has been found to help. They increase pain levels. Among them are potatoes, eggplant,peppers,and tomatoes. Taking tumeric also helps. It has some of the same cox2 inhibitors as many over the counter, and prescription medicines.http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/The-benefits-of-Tumeric-Curcumin-in-the-Treatment-of-Many-Diseases
    My mother had fibromyagia, and used many of Dr. Teitalbaums protocols, and advice, and it truly helped her. Among his recommendations include holistic, and natural supplements.http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/Natural-Treatments-for-Arthritis-Inflammation-and-Pain-including-Gout-Kidney-Stones I hope this helps.