jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think Heroin addicts should be treated with methadone?

1. CherMyOpinion profile image60
    CherMyOpinionposted 5 years ago

Do you think Heroin addicts should be treated with methadone?

I think it's just insane that we treat heroin addicts with a drug that is just as addicting and deadly. So what that says is you will be arrested for heroin but if you go pay a doctor and then the pharmacy slaps on the magic federal label $300 later it's ok now to use basically heroin in pill form. Something is very wrong with this picture.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7381958_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    SaritaJBonitaposted 5 years ago

I 100% agree!  Suboxone is a drug that can reduce the cravings and withdrawal symptoms of Heroin addiction.  It's not used as frequently and I cannot understand why.  Is it more expensive?

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

so true. i'm an ex-junkie and i know that it rarely helps giving junkies methadone. the best cure is to lock them up, leave them to battle the drug withdrawls and then get them either an education or meaning to their lives.

4. Renee Abbott profile image83
    Renee Abbottposted 5 years ago

In the 70's, I use to be a methadone counselor for the state I lived in. It has some benefits, but is doesnt heal the addiction. It to me is a band-aid, and if the person isnt willing to create major changes in their life, it continues to be an addiction.

It takes a lot to want something different and fight for it, most people with drug addictions have to find that fight within them. Sadly, many do not, and replace one addiction with another. We find this even outside of the heroin/methadone addiction, people use food, cigs, alcohol..and the list can go on. But, back to your question, it can be of help, but only if the person is willing to fight for their own life, verses a subsitute.

5. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

I don't think anything should be ruled out if it has been shown to help some (many!) rehab patients.  While it may not work for those who aren't willing to change their overall lifestyle, methadone can work for those who are committed to changing the lifestyle habits that lead to their addiction in the first place.

working