jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)

What makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck?

1. rutley profile image73
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

What makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck?

A person, a song, aggravation, fear?

2. eHealer profile image85
    eHealerposted 5 years ago

Hiya Rutely! Nice to see you! The hair standing up on the back of your neck is a reaction to "goose bumps," and fear. Something has triggered your fear response and adrenaline is pumping through your veins and triggers the back of the neck to feel those tiny and sensitive hair follicles  to stiffen and "stand on end.: Dogs and cats, most mammals, and even birds have this same reaction to fear. Humans have done this for centuries and some may call it "your gut instinct." Mine is usually triggered by someone I just have a "bad feeling" about.

3. BSloan profile image75
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

Stories about bullying would have to be my top choice.  When unfair situations are against children, I usually cringe just thinking why certain children have to go through difficult situations.  Rude, inconsiderate drivers also make me nuts.

4. Goody5 profile image68
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

The sounds of finger nails dragging across a chalkboard does it for me.

5. jenbeach21 profile image77
    jenbeach21posted 5 years ago

Whenever I give in and get a pedicure. The sound of the file across my nails alongside the toe seperator are enough to make my hair stand up and chills race up and down my spine.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

The idea of being in very deep water (ocean) and not knowing what is beneath you, or diving and seeing something really huge like a shipwreck. That overwhelming size of it just give me the creep and definitely makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end!

7. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

hairspray and mousse. I've got a very hairy neck.

8. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
    ReneeDC1979posted 5 years ago

GREAT QUESTION!  Bad grammar is the worst for me.  I can't stand when people add an extra -ed to an already past tense word or they just speak WRONG!  The worst part is asking "why do you talk like that?"  The response, "Cause I'm around my friends and I'm comfortable.  I know how to talk in an interview." That just sounds dumb to me.  If you've learned how to speak, etc. then why not use it and be an example for others?  Just a thought.

9. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

The wondrous, soothing and exhilarating chords of pure A Capela Harmony........the cause of full-body goosebumps.....hair standing up on the back of my neck and my arms, as well.......Nothing foreboding, nothing to fear......but instead the sounds to love and embrace.
    This physical response mustn't always be something that frightens or annoys us, must it?  I choose pleasure.

10. LouTucci profile image78
    LouTucciposted 5 years ago

Having any kind of contact with my ex-wife!

1. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 5 years agoin reply to this

LMAO!!  Good one, Lou!!   I wish you luck in avoiding contact!!

11. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 5 years ago

We live next to a graveyard and although everyone is used to seeing the spirits every now and then there is a peacock that lives on the grounds...and this bird makes the most ungodly holler! I wish the property owners would get the poor thing a mate; I think it is just lonely.

Other than this, my husband kisses the back of my neck in a way that makes the hair stand up and my skin tingle all over. But I like it smile

12. profile image0
    Kerry43posted 5 years ago

I like the idea of addressing the pleasure aspect as the lady did in one of these comments - but the first thing that came to mind was the feeling of a scratchy old tennis ball...or a new tennis ball, yuckkkk. Now I am running my tongue across my teeth too, just thinking about it lol.

Great Q, thanks smile

Kerry

1. LouTucci profile image78
      LouTucciposted 5 years agoin reply to this

girl...a tennis ball? What in the world are you talking about? Bet if someone kissed your hand, that'll get your hairs on the back of your neck sticking up!

13. abbykorinnelee profile image72
    abbykorinneleeposted 5 years ago

When I know I am alone but it feels like someone is standing behind me and breathing on my neck

working