jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Would you have surgery to lose weight?

1. CastleQueen profile image60
    CastleQueenposted 5 years ago

Would you have surgery to lose weight?

Why and or why not.

2. jennshealthstore profile image89
    jennshealthstoreposted 5 years ago

I think that the only way I would ever have surgery to lose weight is if I had a condition in which that was the only way for it to be done. Lots of these surgeries are not safe and it would be much healthier to lose the weight on your own. It takes a lot of work and time to lose weight the correct way, but if you put the effort in you can change your whole lifestyle and become healthy.

3. Alphadogg16 profile image92
    Alphadogg16posted 5 years ago

No, I've never had any weight issues and I love to work out. If I did gain weight or have the need to lose weight, Ill lose it naturally in the gym. Unless excessive weight gain is from some kind of medical affliction, having surgery is just putting a band aid, not fixing anything. If you continue what you were doing prior to having surgery, more than likely, your going gain the weight back.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, while I could actually use that kind of surgery, I know it won't fix the problem which is (for me) emotional eating.

5. Abby Campbell profile image95
    Abby Campbellposted 5 years ago

As a professional weight loss expert, nutritionist, and personal trainer, I would not recommend weight loss surgery unless it was absolutely critical. Exchanging bad dietary habits for good ones, as well as adding daily activity / exercise, can be tough for someone who has never known a healthy lifestyle. However, it can be done. It takes time, and patience is needed. With that being said, I have worked with dozens of women who have had weight loss surgery. Some of my own family members have had it. There are many side effects that come with surgery that does not come with natural weight loss. Some of those symptoms include a dry skin, hair loss, loose skin, nauseousness. These are all signs of a declining thyroid and metabolism which is not healthy. In addition, many of my clients who have had weight loss surgery ended up gaining all their weight back plus more simply because they did not learn to eat correctly. Weight loss surgery is not a cure all. It will help you with portion control in the beginning as well as motivation. But, you can still stretch your stomach out, eat like you once did, and gain all the weight back. If you're personally looking to lose weight, I hope you will weigh the consequences.  wink