jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why does stress cause some people to lose weight and other people to gain weight

1. ktrapp profile image98
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

Why does stress cause some people to lose weight and other people to gain weight?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image65
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

I think It depends on what kind of an "eater" they are. When some people are stressed, they turn to food as comfort. This is a learned behavior that can start in childhood.
    Me, I don't eat when I am stressed. I tend to turn away from food, and can't even think of it when something is bothering me.
    PS. Lost tons of weight when I was going through my divorce...that was a plus...lol.

3. Adamowen profile image80
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

Simple. Some people like to eat more and some like to eat less in these situations. Calories in vs calories out is the weight myth.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Because of how people respond to stress. Each person handles stress differently.

5. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 6 years ago

Same way some teenagers get horrible acne and some get shiny smooth skin during puberty, hormonal changes in the body are incredibly random.

Some people naturally feel calm when certain hormones are in their blood stream, to combat stress your body will release those chemicals. Sometimes its a chemical that causes loss of appetite and sometimes it's one that causes increased appetite.

6. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I think it depends on what happens to you when you are stressed. For myself, whenever I have been going through great periods of stress my apetite becomes very poor and I would hardly eat, so I lost weight. However I have a close friend who is the opposite and she would eat and drink constantly, so her weight did go up a bit until the stress passed.

7. tigerbaby777 profile image83
    tigerbaby777posted 6 years ago

Because of how you learned to deal as a child.  Think back to when you were little. If you were hurt or had feelings hurt how did you deal?

Did a parent give you a treat or a grand parent? 

Some people learned to eat to fill voids or comfort stress and some just learned to deal in other ways.

I could be wrong but I remember hot fudge sundaes and cookies!

8. profile image0
    trainer ben gamonposted 6 years ago

Stress releases two types of hormones:
    adrenaline which makes you sweat, and lose weight.
    cortisol which make you crave carbohydrates, hence makes you gain weight.

9. Stephanie Henkel profile image96
    Stephanie Henkelposted 6 years ago

Adrenaline and the stress hormone, cortisol can be responsible for weight gain or weight loss during times of stress. Find out why stress causes food cravings and weight gain. Tips on managing stress, too. read more