jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

If washing hands is important to prevent colds and flu, why do we follow the han

1. BkCreative profile image70
    BkCreativeposted 5 years ago

If washing hands is important to prevent colds and flu, why do we follow the handshaking tradition?

In other cultures, people do not greet by shaking hands, why do Americans? This is a sure way to spread germs yet it is still practiced. I know many people use the toilet and do not wash their hands. Ugh!

2. Words By William profile image66
    Words By Williamposted 5 years ago

Probably for many of the same reasons we continue to smoke, drink, not get enough exercise and not eat a healthy diet...all things that have a well established history of not being good for you.

1. BkCreative profile image70
      BkCreativeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So true Words By William! We are creatures of habits.

3. timorous profile image84
    timorousposted 5 years ago

On the other hand, maybe some people are over-reacting to such germs. Germs are inevitable, they are a part of our environment. Nature understands this. That is why all animals have digestive systems that rid their bodies of waste at regular intervals. Otherwise, we'd be overwhelmed by all kinds of non-beneficial germs, microbes and parasites. A healthy diet and exercise goes a long way to keeping things in check, and preventing unwanted germs from taking hold.

These people with poor bathroom habits don't seem to be any less healthy than the average. Still, it's always a good idea to wash your hands properly each time.

4. normanwinkfield profile image44
    normanwinkfieldposted 5 years ago

Shaking hands is a very powerful pyscological human behavioral custom as I know it in America. It can make you or break you depending on your asprirations and your need and support of other people. People judge other people by thier looks and hand shake. If the look is disagreeable, the hand shake part will most likley not happen or it will be a loose and quick. I don't buy into spreading germs because they are already everywhere. Each body has a defence mechanism, a resistants, if these systems are not working properly sickness will happen, it just a matter of how often.   Massage, exercise, proper sleep, avoiding substances, may it be so called foods or drinks that do not belong inside the body. This will build the body's defence mechanism.

5. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

Shaking hands has been a tradition for the Americans to acknowledge friendship. In korea and Japan, they bow to greet, which is much cleaner and courteous . Yeah, i had seen people who doesn't wash hands after pee in the toilet, too lazy and don't know where to wipe their wet hands. Luckily in Malaysia, shaking hands are not compulsory. We just say "Hi" and wave hand or slightly bow the head to acknowledge friendship.

6. roezzl777 profile image35
    roezzl777posted 5 years ago

because its tradition.  you can prevent colds and flue by washing your hands after shaking

7. MisterShives profile image60
    MisterShivesposted 5 years ago

I believe that it is out of respect. I don't think that shaking hands is too harmful, but I always remember to wash my hands. I hate to think about what the other person could have been touching. Eew.

8. adorablebaby profile image61
    adorablebabyposted 5 years ago

what people still shake hands i just nod now days

9. thecatgallery profile image64
    thecatgalleryposted 5 years ago

Remember Munch? He had it right! Absolutely! I'm a microbiologist, so I'll say carry some hand wipes with you to let you politely shake hands, then wipe them safely clean.

I'm going to be publishing a Hub soon called the "Kitten Sneeze", which will be a way to cut down on spreading the flu and colds. Watch for it :-)

Those bugs are everywhere.

working