jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)

Do antibacterial soaps really work by killing germs on our hands, the way the ad

1. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

Do antibacterial soaps really work by killing germs on our hands, the way the advertisers claim?

I am not sure. All the smells and colors make me wonder.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6646271_f260.jpg

2. bhargvi sharma profile image48
    bhargvi sharmaposted 5 years ago

Ya, few of them like dettol are very effective in killing germs instantaneously.
    The day i started using it from that day i would have never fall ill... smile

Diane Woodsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I might try dettol sometime! thanks for your comment!

3. michememe profile image77
    michememeposted 5 years ago

Good question. But if we are killing off germs everywhere we go, when it's time for us to take antibotics...I wonder if our body is immuned to anit- stuff?

I have heard that if you use something a long time it stops being effective. Shampoo is never supposed to work as well if you use the same one day after day! Thanks for your comment!

2. xanzacow profile image72
      xanzacowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is why we have "super bugs" such as MRSA and VRE. The bugs become resistant to antibiotics that are over-used in our society. The same goes for antibacterial soaps, and all of that antibacterial crap goes back to our water supply.

4. electricsky profile image36
    electricskyposted 5 years ago

I suppose so.  But I have a question.  What about the air we breathe in and out?  Aren't we putting out the same germs?

Some people think that just running water over our hands will rinse off the germs.

Also, some people don't understand the concept of soap.  They claim it is animal lard/dung and does nothing to remove dirt but it is the action of rubbing the hands together that gets dirt and germs off?  Have you ever noticed how filthy your sink gets after using soap?

But hospitals, where the educated fools are, believe in it.

1. xanzacow profile image72
      xanzacowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Most of us educated fools have gone the way of hand sanitizers these days.

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

Are you aware that your body need germs inorder to function efficiently. Without germs your immune system would not function properly.

6. Marsei profile image90
    Marseiposted 5 years ago

I wash my hands before meals and after doing some sort of dirty work, period.  I  am very, very seldom sick.   I've never used one so can't answer.    I don't use face creams and such either, just soap and water.  I just don't like the idea of putting things on my skin when I don't know what they might contain that's harmful.  Seems like we often find out years later that something we've used for years or a medication we've taken is dangerous.  Why take the risk?

7. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

I'm pleasantly surprised to see how many responders don't pay much attention to "anti-bacterial." 

I'm with them....  The world is rife with germs and bacteria... and if our personal immune systems never encounter them (germs and bacteria) then how are they going to know how to kick the sh*t out of those germs and bacteria when they DO incur them under some other circumstances??????

I know of one family who tries to live a "sterile" life... and they and their kids are CONSTANTLY under the weather with this or that malady.......

Thanks for the informing comment! I hope that family changes their habits soon.

8. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Plain soap without the antibacterial additives works just fine. Actually the antibacterial additives are sometimes too harsh for certain people and actually cause reactions in others. Triclosan is one antibacterial agent that is commonly used that stirs great debate on it's safety with some people calling it "agent orange."

9. CrescentSkies profile image87
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

While they do kill germs on your hands they don't work as effectively as they claim. If you rinse your hands with rubbing alcohol you'll get a better effect than most of them (it's toxic enough to bacteria that it kills on contact).

10. dialogue profile image66
    dialogueposted 5 years ago

However, the way the advertisers show the ad really makes me laugh. They show initially a hand full of dirt and they show so much bacteria on that hand in microscopic view, soap is applied and hands are washed. At the end they show the bacteria on hand in microscopic view, after wash again still one or two bacteria are shown. Really very funny...!!!

working