jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What are the greatest issues which make relationships a struggle?

1. Emanate Presence profile image78
    Emanate Presenceposted 4 years ago

What are the greatest issues which make relationships a struggle?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Dishonesty. Once trust is gone, there is no relationship.

1. artist101 profile image71
      artist101posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with JThomp42, because that covers all of the other points, such as money, kids, no time together, and family. Because the breakdown of those issues, are usually based in dishonesty.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Biggest issues include family. You really just want to keep your partner and get rid of their family. But unfortunately, that doesn't happen. Another huge factor includes money management. Finances create the base of your future, help you progress while your family grows, and pay the bills when you are old. But if your partner has no idea of how to save, there will be many fights. The last major one that I will touch is how to bring up your children. There are three different parenting methods and they do not always go together well. And if children see their parents undermine each other or argue on punishments they will pick up on it as a weakness and the family begins to have holes.
    My husband adds moral beliefs, upraising, and religion.

1. Sarah Christina profile image83
      Sarah Christinaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree that family is also a major factor. I have personal experience in that regard, because currently my own family disapproves of the person I want to marry. His family has accepted me. However, they have their own issues just like any family.

2. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like my situation.

3. Sarah Christina profile image83
      Sarah Christinaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear that. It sucks...but in the end, it's their loss. They can choose to accept it, or choose to not be a part of my life. It's up to them. They want to be judgmental without even having met him, and they act like he doesn't exist.

4. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I know entirely what you mean. Luckily my family is starting to accept him more, but he needs to get used to them as well. He isn't used to a large family and is scared of seeing them. My mother is the most judgmental one though...

4. Sarah Christina profile image83
    Sarah Christinaposted 4 years ago

The things that have caused the most struggle in my experience are:

1) Dishonesty and/or lack of communication. Like JThomp42 said, you can't have a good relationship without trust. Communication is also very important as well though, because you can be honest all you want but if you don't know how to properly convey your thoughts/feelings to your partner, it can make things difficult and they may have a hard time learning what your wants/needs are. Good communication also means that you need to be a good listener as well.

2) Long distance. I've had a few long distance relationships and they were extremely difficult. You become insecure because you have to REALLY be able to trust them (they could be seeing other people behind your back and you'd never know it). Lack of intimacy and physical contact also creates a huge strain. You have to have a very strong foundation with the person if you hope to survive it.

3) Morals/spirituality - you must have matching beliefs and morals, or it can cause a lot of strife. Additionally, I struggled a lot in one relationship because not only did we not have the same sense of morality in some ways but they also had no desire to explore their own spirituality. They claimed they were open minded and interested in such things, but whenever I asked them to meditate or pray with me, they wouldn't. One of the reasons I ended the relationship was because I felt spiritually unfulfilled - I wanted a partner that I could share that part of my life with--pray with, learn about God with, etc.

5. shwetha123 profile image72
    shwetha123posted 4 years ago

I think misunderstanding between two people make relationships struggle.

working