What do they mean when they say, "mindfulness" meditation?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

What do they mean when they say, "mindfulness" meditation?

It sounds cool--like something I'd want to try--and I've found several "definitions" on the web and descriptions, but little consistency between them. Is there a book about it? Is it something to do with a religion, or secular in nature? Does "modern science"/mainstream science endorse it or is it on the fringes? Do any of you practice it? How often should it be done to be effective? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Mindfulness is a type of meditation that essentially involves focusing on your mind on the present. To be mindful is to be aware of your thoughts and actions in the present, without judging yourself.

Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, JT! Short and to the point as always. Cheers!

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome Laura.

3. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

Meditation has been used for thousands of years in a variety of cultures so that disqualifies it from being "fringe" in my mind.  It does indeed have many health benefits and there are many types/forms of meditation.  "Mindfulness" meditation helps you learn to be aware of your thoughts - which ultimately dictate how you experience your life/reality.  When you are able to be full and present and aware of your thoughts - detached from them enough to see how you actually think, you may be really surprised.  Meditation can be spiritual in nature if you prefer, it certainly doesn't have to be.  Most people who practice it regularly do open up spiritually to some degree.  Spirituality and religion are not the same things.  I practice meditation regularly and it has changed my life - daily is ideal, even if just for a few minutes.  Eventually you get to a place where you can enter a meditative state "at will" and you don't have to work so hard at it.  It takes time, patience and dedication to learn, but as with anything beneficial - it's worth the effort.

Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I meditate, but not this way--I work on either changing how I feel or blocking conscious thoughts to see what sub-conscious thoughts come in. I really like your description of of "mindfulness" meditation, which I look forward to trying today!

4. Emanate Presence profile image68
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

Laura, like you wrote, there are many definitions and few consistencies. As I see it, each person writes their own definition of meditation from their individuality and life experience. I know you will find your own way.

When a person chooses to live to the fullness of their capacity and continue to expand in awareness and whole-person maturity, a meditative lifestyle is highly beneficial.

Real meditation is without effort. No teachers or training are needed as the means for a meditative lifestyle is innate in every human being. Boosts along the way may be helpful, as in a book that one is attracted to or watching a video, but beware the teacher trap. I suggest to anyone asking - touch base with established practices as needed and move on as early as possible to self-instruction by going within & trusting your own wisdom guide.

Transcendental Meditation is the most scientifically studied tradition, I read in an article recently. I had my own encounter with it, which I love to tell as it was an amazing experience. The founder of TM, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, was known in the 60s as the guru of the Beatles. In '71, I was a student in a Colorado high school and on the staff of the school newspaper. Maharishi was on a U.S. tour and stayed that winter for a time in a log cabin in Rocky Mountain National Park. My English teacher arranged for me to drive with three other students to interview Maharishi. Large snowflakes fell heavily outside the large picture window while I sat across a coffee table from him and asked questions about mantras such as Om mani padme hum and Nam myoho renge kyo, which I had chanted in Buddhism. Maharishi told me it was needed to be given a mantra by a TM teacher. I never went in that direction, and glad I did not.

As I wrote in other places, my conclusion for myself, is to let go of all teachers, trainings and traditions and draw upon inner resources. It is not my intention to indicate what anyone else should do, as that would violate the whole principle that each person has the same inner resources and can go to them. Each person's journey is their own. Relying little on outside training and wholly on inner wisdom is the way of whole-person maturity, and if one believes so, of merging with the Higher Self.

As an example of meditative lifestyle, Kati is in a high-stress nursing position. A co-worker observed to her that when things get really chaotic, Kati still moves mindfully and elegantly. That is it, to move elegantly and peacefully through chaos.

1. Emanate Presence profile image68
      Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Laura, a thought came. We could have a brief Skype video conversation between us about mindfulness meditation and video capture it for a hub. If you have interest, we can go to email....

5. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

It's sort of an oxymoron to say mindfulness, when the aim of meditation is to go beyond the mind.  But having said that, watching thoughts is a sure fire way of slowing them down.  I don't do this form of meditation but as part of the Third Eye Meditation I do, watching thoughts is a phase of awareness, after which you can go beyond thoughts into other states of consciousness.  I do a daily meditation practice which I've done for thirteen years.

I have several hubs on meditation and thoughts, including a conversation I had many years ago after a long stint of full time practices which highlights the state of watching thoughts and pre-thoughts.

Here is a link to the hub I wrote on Third Eye Meditation http://jewels.hubpages.com/hub/Third_Eye_Meditation  At the end there is a guided meditation that you may find helpful.  And you can get a book on it, plus it's not aligned to religion.

I believe meditation at large is endorsed by science. Many studies have been done and are still being undertaken to understand more about the brain and the effects of meditation on the mind and body.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)