jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is 2 bowel movements per day a sign of malabsorption?

1. tnvrstar profile image75
    tnvrstarposted 4 years ago

Is 2 bowel movements per day a sign of malabsorption?

I used to have 1 bowel movement a day but nowadays I get 2 bowel movements in a day. Is it bad?

2. artist101 profile image70
    artist101posted 4 years ago

No its not. Symptoms of malabsorption include weight loss, undigested food in the stools, unintentional weight loss, weakness, and so forth. Probably is just an increase in digestion. If you have any of these other symptoms, consult a doctor. http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/IBS-I … Treatments

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

It's a sign of over consumption most likely.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

No, every person's body is different. If you have no other symptoms, I wouldn't worry, but why not contact your doctor just to make sure.

5. Amy Becherer profile image73
    Amy Bechererposted 4 years ago

No, tnvstar, two bowels movements per day, in itself is not a sign of malabsorption.  Generally, an overview picture of malasorption includes diarrhea, which is excessive fecal excretion of unformed, soft or loose stools; steatorrhea, which is defined as 'fatty' stools, (in excess of 7g/day fat excreted). Steatorrhea is  the hallmark of malabsorption, characterized by foul smelling, pale, bulky, greasy stools. In addition, abdominal bloating and gas often accompany the symptomatology of malabsorption.  Usually, sufferers lose weight despite adequate food intake and develop nutritional deficiencies due to defects in digestion, absorption or transport.

1. Amy Becherer profile image73
      Amy Bechererposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I want to apologize for a typo which should have read "symptomatology"

working