jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can insecurities actually make us see our physical selves differently?

1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Can insecurities actually make us see our physical selves differently?

2. JMcFarland profile image87
    JMcFarlandposted 4 years ago

I would say absolutely.  I have a very negative self-esteem generally - I have to work hard to see myself as a positive, intelligent and good person.  I have difficulty seeing what others see in me, no matter how many times they tell me.  For a long time, despite everything that I knew and all of the positive things I had done, I had a very hard time looking at myself in the mirror.  When I started accepting that I was worthy of love, appreciation and affection, I could not only look at myself, but I could look at myself and smile.  I see myself completely differently now.  It's still not always easy, but it is one step in a gradual process.

3. lburmaster profile image81
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Yes. They make us see ourselves entirely differently. In high school, I was anorexic and thought horribly about myself. After finding my hubby, he taught me to love and enjoy food. Looking at the weight I had gained seemed entirely painful, but he didn't care. He treated me the same way as always and then I have loved myself ever since. Insecurities about what others think about you make a huge difference.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago

Of course.  People who are insecure tend to blow things out of proportion and don't realize that others don't see them in the same way they see themselves.  A person may have a small scar and think that everybody notices it, when the truth is that most people wouldn't care enough to even look!

5. Markie W profile image60
    Markie Wposted 4 years ago

Yes. Just like Iburmaster already said about herself, I was also anorexic in high school. My family and friends started making comments about how thin I was and how they were worried about me getting too thin, but when I looked in the mirror all I saw was a morbidly obese, disgusting person that I hated, despite the fact that I was actually underweight. So yes, insecurities have a huge impact on how we see ourselves physically.