jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Which is more permanent our inner or outer selves?

1. JDeAngelis profile image60
    JDeAngelisposted 7 years ago

Which is more permanent our inner or outer selves?

Is who you are on the inside more important to you than who you seem to be to others from your exterior?

2. profile image0
    David99999posted 7 years ago

First of all...there are no degrees of permanence. Something is either permanent, or it's not. 
    However, I believe that our inner selves are permanent, and, therefore, longer lasting than our outer selves.
    In other words, our souls are permanent and our bodies are merely temporary shells.

3. karengibsonroc profile image79
    karengibsonrocposted 7 years ago

i completely agree with David99999 i could not have said it better!

4. PDPoole profile image75
    PDPooleposted 6 years ago

One of the last known teachings the Buddha left was given on the evening of his paranibbana ...he declared..."Sabbe sankhara annica ti.....all conditioned/compounded things are transitory." Our selves  are as impermanent as things can be....Being aware of this teaching, one eventually learns the futility of clinging/grasping to those things which arise and pass away, and we learn how to live in the NOW...And to the second part of the question...The self  I maintain within me is my true self..it is not the self others assess and attempt to define, so I would say who I am on the inside is more important.

working