jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What is a hiccup?

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image76
    crazyhorsesghostposted 5 years ago

What is a hiccup?

Do you have any ideal what a hiccup is and what causes it?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7865733_f260.jpg

2. mindyjgirl profile image82
    mindyjgirlposted 5 years ago

it happens when you lungs want more air, and air gets trapped in somewhere. a lot of kids get it and baby animals, from drinking too fast.  slow down and deep breathe eventually they will go away, have someone scare you, it makes you take a deep breath. My dad got hiccups for 10 days from kemo , they gave him epilepsy medicine and it worked.

1. healthywebsites profile image57
      healthywebsitesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i've heard that hiccups are spasms of the diaphragm. i believe that eating too quickly, as mindyjgir mentioned, is one possible cause but others include drinking carbonated beverages, swallowing air when chewing gum and sudden stress.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Hiccups are the spasming of the diaphragm.  Any number of things can cause them, too much food, too fast, swallowing air, etc.

4. aguasilver profile image80
    aguasilverposted 5 years ago

Very good question..... and I'm thankful to those who actually knew what it was.... for me it has always been the thing that my daughter gets, which leads to me trying to hold her feet up as she stands on her head, whilst my wife gets her to drink from a glass of water when upside down.

Never seems to work, but it's funny to watch! smile

working