jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade capsicum arthritis cream?

1. KrisL profile image83
    KrisLposted 4 years ago

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade capsicum arthritis cream?

It costs $12 dollars or more in the drug store, which makes no sense to me since the active ingredient is cayenne pepper! On the other hand, I don't want to put in too much chili pepper and cause myself severe pain . . .

2. teamrn profile image68
    teamrnposted 4 years ago

Capsasicn (SP?) is very effective, but the-pr that matter-ANY topical cream or ointment that needs to penetrate to the joints, has to be made of small enough molecules so that it can penetrate.

So, unlike aloe, you can't just lop of a leaf of the plant and rub the juice. it needs to be specially formulated, but I don't know HOW, so that it penetrates deeply. Otherwise, you'll just have expensive skin!

I wonder if the cayenne is ground up, REALLY ground up-mortat and pestle style-the way the compounding pharmacist do, if it can be home made, as long as you wash your hands after application. I'd talk to a compounding pharmacist. Most of the pharmacists today aren't doing a ot of that, but that used to be the bread and butter.

Annie.

1. KrisL profile image83
      KrisLposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I'm also wondering whether heating a little in oil would activate the pepper, as that what happens in cooking.

2. teamrn profile image68
      teamrnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The heating oil thing makes a lot of sense, but there would have to be more to it. That's a start probably, but (with all due respect), I think that if all it took were a saucepan, pharmacists would be out of business and everything would be cooked!

3. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 4 years ago

Hello Kris,
    I am studying herbalism under a registered herbalist, and regarding cayenne, he does not advise we make our own creams. In this case, commercial preparations are best. Sorry. But it is really good you asked the question before just trying to make something.
    Have you ever considered seeing a qualified herbalist? They may be able to give you some other, additional, and useful help for arthritis- diet suggestions, other herbs, etc.

1. KrisL profile image83

Thanks, that is good to know. And I suspect the commercial creams probably go a long way. I like tiger balm, but it is strong-smelling and not all that long-lasting.

I've researched diet & I'm doing the best I can there, but more herbs may help.

2. profile image0
      Alise- Evonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kris,
      Did some further searching-  you could make a cayenne salve as opposed to a cream (I was thinking more along these lines when I first read your question, even, but you asked about cream.)  I could give you more info in an e-mail if you wish.

3. KrisL profile image83

Thanks, Alise,
      I may take you up on that and email in a day or two.

working