Does anyone have a recipe for making homemade lightly tinted sunscreen moisturiz

1. Laura Schneider profile image93
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

Does anyone have a recipe for making homemade lightly tinted sunscreen moisturizer?

My experiments, to date, have failed.

2. Mira Penn profile image74
    Mira Pennposted 4 years ago

I can't give you an exact recipe without knowing more about your skin type and color, but I can give you some pointers for starting out.

Your basic moisturizer recipe is going to start with water, oils of your choice, an emulsifier such as emulsifying wax NF or lecithin, a thickening agent such as xantham gum or stearic acid, and a preservative if you want to make something that's shelf stable. To turn your moisturizer into a tinted sunscreen, you can make your own mineral makeup and simply mix them together.

I used to make my own moisturizers, but have since lost interest in it, so now-a-days I just make my own loose mineral makeup with a fairly high percentage of zinc and titanium dioxide for sun protection and then mix that in with a manufactured moisturizer. I usually prefer to just use a plain moisturizer under a UV blocking loose mineral powder, so I do not have a perfected technique or recipe for mixing mineral foundation with moisturizer. On the occasion that I do want a tinted moisturizer, I just mix the two together on the spot in the palm of my hand on an as needed basis.

Z-cotes zinc powder is a particularly translucent zinc that does not sacrifice uv protection, and works well as a light colored base ingredient.

For materials and supplies, a great place to start is TKB trading. I buy all of my makeup making supplies from their website and their prices are very reasonable.

I have enjoyed this book in helping me learn about making my own cosmetics:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-M … 1615640231

For lotion making tips I recommend swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

Please let me know if this answer helped or if there's more I can help you with. Thanks!

1. Laura Schneider profile image93
      Laura Schneiderposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow! You are a wealth of information! I can't wait to get started applying all of the knowledge you just conveyed so helpfully! Thank you so much! I have VERY pale skin, so I go straight from Snow White to cancer-red. This  is so helpful! Cheers!

working