jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is the rate of brain cancer increasing?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image69
    BlissfulWriterposted 4 years ago

Why is the rate of brain cancer increasing?

2. jabelufiroz profile image71
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

Deaths have increased over the same period but so has survival
    Many countries around the world mark Brain Cancer Awareness month in May. The aim is to raise awareness of the disease, educate people about its symptoms, raise funds for research and empower everyone affected.

The brain is a complex part of the body; both benign (non-cancerous) and malignant (cancerous) tumours are of concern. In this short story, however, the focus is on malignant tumours. Although brain cancer is less common than many other cancers, on average in England, 11 people are diagnosed with brain cancer and 9 people die from brain cancer every day.

Incidence rates have increased steadily

In the last 32 years, brain cancer incidence rates have increased by 23% for men and 25% for women. In 2010, the incidence rate was 8 new cases per 100,000 men and 5 new cases per 100,000 women. This equates to nearly 2,300 newly diagnosed cases in men and just under 1,700 in women. The reasons for the increase in this relatively rare cancer are still under investigation.

Deaths have increased but survival has improved

Unlike most other cancers, brain cancer mortality rates have increased. In the last 32 years, the mortality rate from brain cancer has increased by 15% for men and almost 10% for women. In 2010, the rate was 6 deaths per 100,000 men and 4 deaths per 100,000 women, representing 1,850 deaths in men and 1,350 deaths in women.

Early diagnosis of brain cancer is important for effective treatment, but tumours in the brain are often only found when the disease is at a more advanced stage (NCIN, 2010). Still, improvements in diagnosis and treatments have helped improve short-term survival in adults, with the most recent data showing 42% of men and women diagnosed with brain cancer surviving for at least a year, compared with 24% thirty years ago (ONS, 2012). Longer-term survival has also improved with the most recent data showing 20% of women and 17% of men with the disease surviving five years or more after diagnosis compared with 10% thirty years ago.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/can … eness.html

3. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 4 years ago

I would like to point out that it is possible that simply the amount of diagnoses of brain cancer has increased.

4. Born2care2001 profile image74
    Born2care2001posted 4 years ago

I don't usually offer uneducated, un-researched answers but my gut reaction is the increase in wave activity due to cell phone usage.
    Great question though. I would like to know the answer.