jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Would you feel guilty having prolonged rest after being diagnosed with depressio

1. Pauline Davenport profile image60
    Pauline Davenportposted 4 years ago

Would you feel guilty having prolonged rest after being diagnosed with depression?

Depression is as debilitating an illness as the worst virus you can imagine, yet it is often hidden and mis-understood- would you feel guilty and lazy resting and letting the world go by  until you felt better?

2. lisasuniquevoice profile image74
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

Pauline,
    I would think that rest is what you'd need when you suffer from depression, Then you'll get up when you feel like it. I'm sure it would be good to take the whole recovery slow so you really feel you're taking good care of yourself. Depression is real no matter what anyone says.
    Lisa

Pauline Davenportposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting Lisa - rest is so necessary when you are depressed, but I found that the guilt that comes with that quite terrifying at  times - cna people rest and not feel guilty about it i wonder?

2. lisasuniquevoice profile image74
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Pauline,
      It's difficult to avoid feeling guilty about resting, and slowing things down, I know. We can't worry though about what others think. If we need something for ourselves we should indulge. I wish more people understood depression.
      Lisa

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I think any one likely would. Guilt can be a huge factor in depression so a depressed person likely will feel guilt as well.

Pauline Davenportposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks duffsmom - guilt is  a dreadfully debilitating emotion, and a bad enough feelig when you're not depressed, and I think it can make any sort of depression worse

working