For those that don't have children: do you feel guilty for not bringing new life

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (43 posts)
  1. harmony155 profile image57
    harmony155posted 10 years ago

For those that don't have children: do you feel guilty for not bringing new life into this world?

2. Pamela-anne profile image79
    Pamela-anneposted 10 years ago

In my case I decided not to have children because of my medical condition - Epilepsy; I take grandmal seizures or tonic clonic.  I was advised by doctors against trying to have children with my disability.  I agreed that it would be best not to have children; being that I would not be able to live with myself if me having a seizure caused damage to my child.  I take at least 1 seizure a month so having children was not to be in my future.  I am blessed with 4 lovely nieces and one great nephew which I love and adore all of them.  It does sadden me at times that I was not able to have my own children but I always get through these blue times by remembering there is so many children  in the world today suffering, many starving to death.  We need to think of reducing the numbers so we can feed and cloth the children we have now.

harmony155posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have made a conscious decision, and that alone deserves recognition!

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, people need to think and make conscious decisions before even considering having children. Too many people DON'T and it's THE CHILDREN who suffer from such thoughtless actions!

3. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
    Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years ago

No, I don't. I still may have a baby, although I am getting a little old for that. But even if I don't have any, I won't feel guilty. I don't think there's anything wrong with not having offspring.

1. gmwilliams profile image83

Concur to the multillionth degree.

4. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 10 years ago

I certainly don't. The choice whether to have children shouldn't be based on the fact of feeling guilty if you don't. Children are the most important thing that humans produce, as such, if people feel that, for whatever reason, they have no wish to be a parent, then that is their decision and no business of any one elses. This is a responsible attitude to have, rather than following the majority and having a child just to be the same as everyone else. This happens so frequently with the result that there are some poor kids who are not given the love and life that they deserve.

Besides this, the world population needs to reduce itself, not continue to grow, as resources will start to run out sooner rather than later.

Totally agree with your response.  So many people unthinkingly have children, regretting it later on. Children KNOW when they are unwanted and unloved. More people should think before deciding to have children.  Childfree people should be respected.

5. elayne001 profile image80
    elayne001posted 10 years ago

Is a woman expected to have children if she can? This is a source of trouble in many relationships. Why do some women feel guilt for not having more children? read more

6. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

No, I don't feel guilty at all, in fact I feel sorry for the children being born nowadays as life seem to get harder each year. At first, I felt sad about not having children but not anymore.

7. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 10 years ago

I don't. But I would love to adopt a couple babies.

If only the adoption process was easier, cause there are plenty of children that do need a home!

2. IslandBites profile image88
      IslandBitesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Easier and cheaper.

8. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years ago

Not in the SLIGHTEST!!!  I've seen WAY too many unwanted children, and far more who allegedly were wanted, but are not being taught basic survival skills!
    I personally don't believe in bringing lives into this cruel world.  There are plenty of babies to adopt, if people want kids.
    I once had a co-worker who was a Pilipino mail order bride.  She had a complex about never having kids.  I just told her it was nobody's business but her own, and if anyone who had more than 2 kids called her on it, she should say, "You do enough breeding for the both of us.".  I met her husband, and he was such an @$$hole, I didn't blame her for not wanting to bring kids into that situation!
    People who choose to have kids should take their chosen parental duties SERIOUSLY.  Those who choose not to go that path should be respected!

9. elayne001 profile image80
    elayne001posted 10 years ago

Thanks! Will visit your hub

10. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

People who don't want children shouldn't have children!
    No one should feel guilty about living life on their terms. In fact if we are to believe the news reports detailing the carbon footprint of mankind and how it is destroying the oceans, ozone, and land of this planet.... one could argue that people who chose not to have children are the most eco-friendly people in the world! They're heroes! :-)
    They're reducing the amount of disposable diapers and water bottles going into land fills. In 2011, Americans generated about 250 million tons of trash and recycled and composted almost 87 million tons of this material, equivalent to a 34.7 percent recycling rate. 
    According to Planet Green Group one person adds more than 4 pounds of garbage to a landfill every day. That means, on average, one person contributes 56 tons of trash per year! In many ways less people lead to more resources.
    On another note if we are being realistic not everyone who has a child is producing a healthy or future self-reliant contributing memeber of society. A certain percentage of children will be born unable to ever take care of themselves, some children of today will become tomorrow's criminals. Naturally people who (want) children never consider these as possibilities and yet somehow are jails get filled. Another group of people choose to have children without having the means to raise them or they mate with someone who is far from being an ideal parent. Clearly they were not thinking of what would be in the (child's) best interest.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The movie "Idiocracy" is about this. John Lennon once said 98% of babies are born out of a bottle. Personally, I've seen too much element of truth to this.

Totally agree with Mr. Dashing! Too many people mindlessly and unthinkingly have children. They do not consciously think about their decision to have children, much to their & their children's regret later on. Many have kids as rslt of pressure.

3. selfcollections profile image61
      selfcollectionsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You've made me feel less guilty today. Thank-you smile  I think the desire to have children is actually for self fulfillment. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But doesn't mean people without kids have easy lives and don't work hard either.

11. catgypsy profile image72
    catgypsyposted 10 years ago

No way! I also feel it must be the most terrifying thing in the world to be a parent these days. There is so much danger out there that I would be a basket case and my children would be way over protected...probably chained to me...haha. Hats of to parents, though, for dealing with all of this.

I don't blame parents for wanting to put their kids on a leash!

12. KL Klein profile image69
    KL Kleinposted 10 years ago

Why would I? There's too many people here already!

Amen!

A second amen!

13. Anti-Valentine profile image73
    Anti-Valentineposted 10 years ago

Quite the opposite. I would feel guilty about bringing children in to this world. Have you seen the world we live in? And I'm not contributing to overpopulation.

Thunderous applause to you.

14. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 10 years ago

The only reason I feel guilty (sometimes) is because I am not giving my parents a grandchild. I am their only child, and I know that they expected to have a grandchild one day. But that is not a good enough reason to actually have a child!

There are enough kids in this world waiting to be loved and taken care of that I personally believe more people should be looking towards supporting those kids rather than having a kid for the sake of having a kid that comes from them. It just doesn't seem fair.

15. Globetrekkermel profile image63
    Globetrekkermelposted 10 years ago

Not at all although  I love children a lot. Had I been a mother, I think I would have been a cool mom. Like a lot of the answers here, there are a lot of kids born to parents who were not supposed t be parents to begin with. There are a lot of kids , not biologically your own , to love and care for who had been neglected by their own biological parents. I would love to take care of those kids.

16. Viva Jones profile image66
    Viva Jonesposted 10 years ago

I don't feel remotely guilty - why on earth should I?  The world is overpopulated as it is and I'm not convinced I'd be a great mother - why bring another damaged person into the world?  I'd rather not be a mother at all than be a bad one.

+++++++

17. Astralrose profile image89
    Astralroseposted 10 years ago

I don't! It's my choice and I believe it's a wise choice considering there are already so many children out there who are waiting to have a home of their own. If someone wants children he/she could adopt and give a child a brand new life. After all, a child is a child who will grow into an adult and do the same or similar things which you are doing. They only differ because you think it that way. Think the other way and it's just the same.

18. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

Not at all!  I have written four hubs on this very same subject.  I also have a recent forum post relating to this.  While I was writing my answer on the post, two pundits indicated that there were sometihing inherent wrong with women who did not have children.  They further indicated that those who waited to have children until they can socioeconomically afford them were totally stupid.  Such misguided pundits; however,were uneducated and did not know better. Those two were the only ones who were negative towards childfree people. They represented the negativity that childfree women regularly encounter on a regular bases.  They simply do not know how to mind their business and live their lives.

I digress.  Nothing is wrong with being childfree although in this strong pronatalist society and culture, one is constantly exhorted to have children, children, children.  Those who elect not to listen to the pronatalist propaganda and diatribe are often demonized as "irresponsible", "immature", "selfish", and/or worse.  One woman at my former job felt that EVERY woman should have children whether she wanted to or not.  As a result of this pronatalist propagandizing, many people have children to conform to the pronatalist construct much to their and their children's regret. 

A survey was done by advice columnist Anne Landers 4 decades inquiring people if they had to do it over, would they have children.  A resounding majority declared that they WOULD NOT!  That report is highly indicative that the majority of people had children because they felt obligated to by their parents, relatives, religions, friends, and the outer society.  Very, very few people have children because they actually wanted to. 

There are folks out there who are perfunctory parents. They see their children as somewhat of an obligation instead of a joy.  This is obvious in that one sees parents being continuously curt and dismissive towards their children.  It is as if they do not want to be bothered with them.  When the children are home on vacation, many parents state that they cannot wait for them to return to school as they are quite noisome.  Yes, many parents view their children as in the way, just merely to be tolerated.  They initially did not want children; however, instead of standing their ground regarding the issue, they caved into the pressure.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image79

It appears some societies are so dysfunctional, they can only continue through ignorance, deception, and intense pressure to progenerate. No one who knew better and was free to think and choose would bring a child into it!

I know so well. So many people unthinking have children and the children suffer because of poor care all around.  This is wrong! As my father told me ALWAYS THINK & PLAN.  People don't and then COMPLAIN about the results therein!  Very "smart"!

3. Say Yes To Life profile image79

As my high school Bible teacher used to say, "He who fails to plan, plans to fail."  Interesting how Christian education is put down so much these days - or how the church is used to keep people ignorant.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

gmwilliams,Very true! I use to hear my mother tell us "I can't wait until you are grown and gone" It was as though we were a (major) bill! Oftentimes we were made to feel we owed her a debt for having us! How twisted is that? Didn't (she) want kids?

19. profile image0
    cjcs138posted 10 years ago

why should i feel guilty about such a thing? there is more than enough people bringing new life in to the world. arguably too much.

There you go!

2. Astralrose profile image89
      Astralroseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! And what are these children for? I have no idea!

20. gpishev profile image60
    gpishevposted 10 years ago

It is a matter of choice, like everything else in this world. The guilt factor depends on the perspective according to me. One can feel guilty because all his/her life she/he has been told how important is raising a family, while another can feel no guilt at all, because of the society around him/her.

I've been told all my married life that raising a family is the most important aspiration. I've even been told that "life doesn't start until I have children".

21. epbooks profile image81
    epbooksposted 10 years ago

Good question, but for me, not at all.  If someone doesn't want children, they shouldn't have them.  I love kids... but never wanted my own.  I don't have the time to devote to raising a child and it wouldn't be fair to them.  My passion in life has always been raising dogs and it works perfectly for me and them. 
    So guilty? Not one bit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)