jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you use intermittent fasting and what do you think of it?

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Do you use intermittent fasting and what do you think of it?

It's being pushed as a weight loss fad these days, but in reality it is supposed to be a way to help the body function better.  Intermittent fasting means going 12 to 24 hours without food one or two days per week to give the gut a chance to process foods and to promote overall health and longevity.  There has been some evidence to suggest it has beneficial effects on the health and longevity of animals, including humans.

Have you tried it? What do you think?

2. EricDockett profile image99
    EricDockettposted 4 years ago

I'm a big fan of IF, and I feel much better when I follow this protocol rather than eating a more traditional way.  I fast 16-18 hours every day and consume only water, black coffee and unsweetened tea during that time.  I eat my last meal by 6 pm, and I don't eat again until 10 the next morning, sometimes not until noon.  I usually eat two meals per day.  I eat the normal number of calories, they are just compressed into these two meals. 

I always ate this way, even long before anybody ever heard of intermittent fasting.  I just feel happier, healthier and mentally clearer when my blood glucose levels aren't constantly jacked up.  I learned this as a teenager, and I'm glad there is now some science to back up what I've always thought made sense.

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I never liked eating breakfast and everyone was always on me you have to eat in the AM. I naturally have no appetite from mid evening to mid-day so was looking more into IF and other experiences smile

3. SaraGardner profile image86
    SaraGardnerposted 4 years ago

I didn't realise there was a fad but I started this kind of fasting a few months ago, fasting on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and then eating whatever I liked on the other days. Whilst my intention was to release old attachments and beliefs attached to eating & food I also found that I had more energy on fasting days and began to see just how much eating slowed me down.
    I had heard that fasting set the body off onto renewal and thereby made you younger...that was an incentive to ramp up my previous habit of occasional and random fasting.
    At first I used a lot of juice as I have back problems and low blood sugar is a danger zone for my muscles but gradually that has all gone away and I just drink tea and water.
    A cheeky bonus on top of all that is that I have effortlessly shed 10 kg/22 pounds in 3 months and I don't deny myself any food on my eating days.