Drinking green tea; Will it cause constipation?

1. thumbi7 profile image61
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

Drinking green tea; Will it cause constipation?

One of my friends who takes green tea regularly morning and evening says that her urine is concentrated and she developed constipation. But she is not sure whether it is because of green tea. Any thoughts?

2. BlissfulWriter profile image74
    BlissfulWriterposted 4 years ago

I doubt that it is the tea.   Try eating more fiber from vegetables, take magnesium and vitamin C.  I heard those are good for constipation.  Although, chronic constipation may be an indication of gut dysbiosis and should be checked by a functional medicine doctor.

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Is she not drinking anything else? The urine being concentrated could indicate she isn't getting enough water or there could be a UTI or kidney infection. Is she in pain? If she has any lower back pain it could indicate an issue with her kidneys and to see a doctor.

If it's just constipation, I would say it isn't the green tea, but dehydration in general can cause that too.  Water - not just tea, water is imperative. I would tell her to flush her system with pure water for a day and see what happens. Perhaps drink a single cup of senna leaf tea to get things moving again to relieve the constipation.

Fiber is good, but don't increase fiber until after you've got things going again or it can bind you up worse.

working