jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What Do You Think About Walk In Tubs For The Elderly?

1. cyoung35 profile image87
    cyoung35posted 4 years ago

What Do You Think About Walk In Tubs For The Elderly?

What do you feel about walk In tubs and the hydrotherapy systems they offer to relieve pain for people with arthritis and other illnesses.

2. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I know of elderly people that have had difficulties getting in and out of standard tubs, especially after illnesses or surgeries.  I do believe hydrotherapy works.  However, these tubs can be very costly.  I'm not sure many elderly have a budget for them.  If they do, I would highly suggest it.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

Even though I can get in and out of my tub and shower fine, I would love to have one. I can see the benefit for anyone with certain limits or disabilities. Hopefully , as they become more available, the price will come down. I know that some doctors will "prescribe"  a spa type tub for certain conditions and it can then be counted as a deductable medical expense on your taxes.

4. John Parks profile image71
    John Parksposted 4 years ago

It would be wonderful to have one of these tubs for my Mother in Law.  She lives with us and requires a lot of care as her memory and cognitive processes become more impaired.  We could not afford one of these tubs, so instead we installed a barrier free shower that actually works quite well.  Just not as fun as hydro massage.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image95
      Rochelle Frankposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think that is another good alternative-- especially if it has a shower head with a hose and a seat.

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years ago

I think we need more houses built on one level, without stairs, equipped with walk-in showers or tubs for people of any age and ability, in order to decrease accidents. My favorite memory of a friend's discussion of her trip to China was the bathroom in her apartment - the entire small room was a shower, allowing her to stand or sit.

6. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

I'm a bit confused by them. Presumably the person has to walk into an empty bath, then run the water. That raises the risk of being scalded by hot water or getting chilled waiting for the bath to fill. Then, they would need to empty the bath before leaving, again running the risk of a chill. Maybe I have the wrong idea of how they work.

Elderly relatives had a special shower fitted with the aid of a local government grant. It made a big difference in their lives.

7. Pamela N Red profile image87
    Pamela N Redposted 4 years ago

Not only are they expensive but repairs and parts are high as well. I've heard of people having problems with them leaking. Anytime you have water, which is really heavy, pushing against a door you have problems.

They are really big so getting the water warm enough is another issue. You'll need a really large hot water tank or one that heats large amounts of water quickly.

A better choice, if you have the space, would be a walk in shower with a seat. Make sure you have hand rails and non-slip surface and it will last you a long time. If it's big enough you don't even need doors or curtains.