jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

When you're on a diet, how do you refuse food offered to you?

1. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 4 years ago

When you're on a diet, how do you refuse food offered to you?

2. DreamerMeg profile image91
    DreamerMegposted 4 years ago

There are several ways of doing this.
    If you know the person / people well, explain before you go that you are on a diet, this means they don't have to waste time and money making something that a guest won't eat.

If you are going to a large party where no one will care what you eat or how much or how little, then fill up beforehand on foods that are part of your diet, so you aren't hungry and tell the person offering the food, "I'm really stuffed at the minute, I'll maybe have a bit more later." They don't have to know that you ate food before you came there!

Alternatively, look at the food on offer and take what you CAN eat, then you can quite legitimately refuse what they are offering, on the grounds that you have to finish what you already have, first.

Of course, there is always the problem that you might REALLY LOVE to have some of what they are offering and are looking for help with will power or motivation NOT to eat it. Filling up ahead of time is good for this. You may also want to plan for what you will say and practice it before you go there. Something like, "Sorry, I have a bet on with my spouse / friend / whoever, that I won't eat any sweet stuff for the next 10 days. You would really help me win that bet by not offering me..." If they are a better friend of your spouse / friend / whoever than they are of you, they might want to help you lose that bet, so in that case, you say something like, "I have recently found out that I am allergic to sugar, so I haven't been taking it and when I do have a little, it makes me really sick."

sangreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

hi DreamerMeg, thanks for your really helpful advice. I'm very strong willed and will be able to stick to it. It's others I'm worried about and their pushy tendencies to try to change your mind. I will be using the techniques you used. Thanks.

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

either lie that you are allergic to the food or claimed that you don't eat them because they are not your cup of tea

Hi peachpurple, good idea too.

4. Nishat Bangarh profile image61
    Nishat Bangarhposted 4 years ago

Sometimes it becomes tough task to refuse someone who is offering you food to eat but it is very much strictly compulsory if u are on diet to refuse to eat food which is out of your diet plan. So I just use to tell rhem that i cant eat this because I am following a strict diet plan.

hi Nishat Bangarh, I agree with you there. I think I'll just have to keep reiterating my point and hope it stick in their head.

5. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I'd just say, "no thank you" or else something like, "no thank you, I ate not long ago and couldn't eat again right now."

thanks Lisa Hw.

6. lilcupcake profile image71
    lilcupcakeposted 4 years ago

There was a study done forever ago about people on a diet. one group was allowed one piece of chocolate a day, and the other wasn't. The group the wasn't had a harder time losing weight, because they would end up binge eating. The group that was allowed to eat chocolate easily lost weight because their sweet tooth was satisfied and they didn't feel denied anything.

So, I eat a piece of chocolate every day :] It's also helpful to stick to healthy foods you actually like. Sweet fruits work for me. I lost ten pounds in DECEMBER! lol

Congratulations on the weight loss. I actually like this idea, because what girl can live without chocolate!  smile

7. profile image49
    jorgemichael680posted 4 years ago

There are several ways to refuse an offer. You may tell the person that you are still full, you're in a diet, etc. However, when you are on a diet, it is not necessary to refuse what is being offered. You can simply take a little from in. In this way, you will not be needing to make someone feel bad with your refusal, you didn't deprive yourself of food, and most importantly, you didn't go away with your endeavor to reduce body fat.

- http://bodytreatmentcenter.com/

Hi jorgemichael680, I appreciate what your saying. That's a very good point.

working