jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How Do You Stop Music Playing In Your Mind?

1. quicksand profile image79
    quicksandposted 4 years ago

How Do You Stop Music Playing In Your Mind?

Especially when you have taken a long break and have been hearing or listening to music, it starts playing in your mind incessantly. Even otherwise when you want to keep your mind unfocussed, music barges into an empty mind and sort of takes up a major share. I do very much like music but at times I don't want my entire mind devoted to music. Any suggestions?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8631141_f260.jpg

2. lindalou1963 profile image75
    lindalou1963posted 4 years ago

I don't know how to stop the music but when something irritating is stuck in my mind, I just think of something different. Like my grandbaby has a toy that plays "do your ears hang low, do they wobble to & fro...."  THAT gets stuck in your head, it'll drive you crazy! So, I just think of a song I DO like and its much more pleasant.

quicksandposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's the music that I like that I listen to, and it's that very music which keeps playing in my mind selecting tracks at random like it's programmed to! It's not much of a problem ... but thanks for your views! Cheers!

3. delaneyworld profile image78
    delaneyworldposted 4 years ago

It drives me crazy when a song gets stuck in my head! Sometimes actually listening to that exact song will release it.  The only way I find it works is if I sing with the song.  I know, sounds weird.  Other ways to refocus - read a short article, a book, look at photos, sit quietly and focus on the sounds of nature or the city sounds around you, meditate and focus only on your breathing, or go on YouTube and play the sounds of rain, water or other sounds that are soothing.  You might also call a loved one or a friend for a chat, take a walk and think about your day, etc.  Redirection in one way or another is always great for me!

Well it happens only if I switch on my stereo after a break of several days. Redirection works for a short spell only. However if I keep on listening, I mean if I "face the music" it gets controllable! Thanks for your suggestion, and cheers!

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Oh yes, happens to me all the time. It will even be "playing" in my head in the middle of the night when I get up to use the bathroom. I usually just ignore it, or play some other music.  I've gotten good at ignoring it because I have tinnitis (ringing) in my right hear that gets seriously loud at times and I had to learn to ignore it or it will drive me mad.

Does it happen even if you have a long lay off from music? smile

2. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, even if I haven't listened to music in quite a while I may wake up with a song I haven't heard in years rolling around in my head. What i hate is if I only know a word or two and those bits keep replaying over and over again.

5. quicksand profile image79
    quicksandposted 4 years ago

@DuffsMom - I guess we've got to live with it. Thanks for your views on the topic. smile Thanks everybody else too.

working