jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the best blend of essential oils that would help a person with insomnia

1. SpiritLeo profile image73
    SpiritLeoposted 4 years ago

What are the best blend of essential oils that would help a person with insomnia?

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

I would suggest catnip, rosemary and lavender. I've saturated cotton balls with these essential oils and sewn the balls into little satchels to put between my pillow and the cover. I also know a couple of people who swear by Balm of Gilead, though I have never tried it.

3. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 4 years ago

That is not easy to answer because your body is unique, and different herbs have different properties, too, so you need to match the herb(s) to you. Here's an example from history: both King George III and Hitler had difficulty sleeping, and both consulted their physician about it. King George had a red face and tongue (indicating heat in his body) and was manic when he could not sleep; but Hitler had a white face (indicating cold in the body). Now, both hops and valerian can help one sleep, but not everyone. King George was given hops (it has cooling properties) and Hitler got valerian (it has warming properties). If this had been switched, it would have made things worse for both of them. 
    (I tend to get cold easily; eating ice cream in the winter is not something I do:))
    Same thing with essential oils; know yourself, know the herbs, you will make a better match- not easy if not educated. I would highly suggest you seek out an herbalist to help you to save you time and money in the long run.

4. moonfairy profile image81
    moonfairyposted 4 years ago

I've heard that Lavender is very relaxing...but I think everyone responds to that sort of thing differently.