jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What do you do to remedy a hangover?

1. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 4 years ago

What do you do to remedy a hangover?

Do you hide out? Or do you push yourself to do things? What do you wear? What do you eat and drink?

2. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

Even decades ago, when young & stupid.....I don't recall but one or 2 hangovers.  Since I was single and childless back then....I simply slept for an entire day.   I know people who swear by this cure and that cure...in an effort to un-do the harm people do to themselves the night before.
    The very BEST thing for any and ALL humans is to NOT drink to excess ever.  Taking a perfectly healthy, rational brain....and literally destroying it's purpose and functions is...well, it's just PLAIN STUPID. 
    In my 65 years of life.....I have never met a drunk person that I didn't like a whole lot better when he/she is SOBER.
    I'm not "preaching."  Just my opinion.

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Drink plenty of water, fast for a day and move the body - it helps your systems function more efficiently and process everything faster.  It can be tempting to sleep the whole day or to "re-medicate" with more alcohol, but the best way to rid your body of the toxins and reduce impact to your health is to be active.  Take an OTC pain reliever and then get up and move.  If you eat anything it should be light and nutritious - no processed or junky crap to also burden your body with.

I fortunately have not drank to the point of hangover in many years.  I can enjoy a few glasses of wine a few times a year and get a little happy - but when it gets to the point of major hangovers it means you've poisoned your body and that you need to help your body heal from it.

1. NornsMercy profile image60
      NornsMercyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I dunno how people re-medicate with more alcohol! The last thing you'd think someone would want to see after feeling crappy all day is more of the stuff that made them feel crappy in the first place. :p

2. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree! but it's a common myth that "hair of the dog" or another drink is the way to stop a hangover. It isn't lol, but it is a well perpetuated myth smile

4. PhoenixV profile image75
    PhoenixVposted 4 years ago

What I found out when I was younger was that there wasn't a really good hangover cure, but I do have some good preventative advice.

Try not to mix alcohols. The more quality of alcohol, usually the better. If it's cheap alcohol, you are going to pay for it in the end. Some alcohols are worse than others, depending on what your body can handle.

I found out as I got older, the hangovers got worse. Buying inexpensive "call' drinks with cheaper alcohols resulted in more severe hangovers. Especially if I was drinking different kinds of drinks. Also some kinds of soft drinks seem to cause some hangover problems or make the hangover worse.

I found if I drank Absolute Vodka with just 7up I could drink 3 or 4 and if I, at the very last drank 2 - 12 ounce or two tumblers full of nothing but club soda before I left a club, I had hardly any hangover at all.

1. profile image0
      Mklow1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that. Cheap alcohol can be deadly!

5. profile image0
    Mklow1posted 4 years ago

I don't have hangovers anymore (I found out not drinking is the best way to cure a hangover! lol) but when I did, I found a big glass of chocolate milk was the best.

If that didn't work, I just kept on drinking!

Closed to reply