jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Do you get fed up from your too many disappointments?

1. DDE profile image26
    DDEposted 3 years ago

Do you  get fed up from your too many disappointments?

High expectations can drop your good feeling very fast and the constant thinking of your great expectations can take you down do you think you  could live with no expectations and  in this  way feel true happiness?

2. MsDora profile image96
    MsDoraposted 3 years ago

Devika, it is easy to get fed up when disappointments pile up, but it is your responsibility to get out of your "fed up" mood.

If your expectations are in other people, you will be let down, especially since you cannot control what they will do. They may please themselves first, instead of making your their priority.

So focus on you--your goals and your efforts to reach them.  When you have done your best and you still fall short  of your goals, accept the reality and reset.  That leaves very little time to be fed up.

1. DDE profile image26
      DDEposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You are right but with no expectations life just feels so much simpler in still reaching my goals but with a different mind. Thank you.

3. grand old lady profile image86
    grand old ladyposted 3 years ago

I think it is valid for us to have expectations to a certain degree. An absence of expectations won't give us peace, we just will wish for whatever is lacking in our life.

Maybe acceptance is a better word. Accept your realities, and in this context work to make your wishes come true. Take care of yourself, spoil yourself sometimes and love yourself. I wasn't too crazy about the movie, Eat, Pray, Love. But the title is awfully good as a mantra.

1. DDE profile image26

Acceptance plays a big part of ones life. thank you

4. lisavanvorst profile image77
    lisavanvorstposted 3 years ago

Honestly I don't know. I have always had expectations and only these past two years have I realized that sometimes things are not achievable due to difficult times. It does bring me down and I am struggling with realizing I may not reach those expectations.

1. DDE profile image26

I have had that problem not achieving so I decided to live with no expectations thank you

5. profile image60
    billys1posted 3 years ago

I agree with Ms Dora that "If your expectations are in other people, you will be let down, especially since you cannot control what they will do. They may please themselves first, instead of making you their priority".  However, I do make 2 distinctions (or exceptions) here. 
        #1. We should never expect people to come up to our expectations of what should or should not be.  People are faulty beings and will for the most part either go their own way for their own goal or simply not understand what is it that we want in the first place. 
         #2. We are also "people" and we do not always live up to our own expectations and so we disappoint ourselves.  Learning to accept our earthly limitations such as these do a lot for our self esteem, self worth and happiness.

1. DDE profile image26

Well mentioned  we have face up to our challenges thank you

6. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 3 years ago

If I had no expectations, unfortunately, I'd accomplish nothing - including employment or, if I were so inclined, even be motivated to do the work to survive off of the land.

I'd rather go to the store.  But in order to do that you need to have money, have a job and be a tiny little cog in this sometimes very unfair system.  Beyond survival, I thlink I would be rather bored with no expectations, and my ego would demand some kind of mastery to both feel good about and about which others could admire me.  Yes - I admit it - I want to be respected and admired.  I want to be seen as someone with a lot to offer. 

In full candor, for example, I am an above average pianist.  I am sometimes great.  Most of the time I am just a little better than good.  I am not happy with that. 

As a writer, I wish I had the ambition and discipline to write every day, but procrastination, distraction, depression, anxiety and sometimes just plain laziness get in the way.  This does not leave me satisfied.

I want to leave a mark on this world.  I want this place to know that Stan was here!  I have lots of ambitions around intellectual and mathematical pursuits, but not the extra something to go out and learn trig on my own and catch up so that I can explore Einstein's theories and complicated equations.  I am very good at math, but I could be so much better.

I guess the concise answer to your question is that, as far as we know, we are only here once.  I am not satisfied with a "simple" life, nor with one in which I continue to struggle to meet my daily needs. 

Disappointments are a major setback and have fed some very serious depression and worse.  My anxiety, too, is high because of expectations, and the memory of past failures and disappointments which eat at my confidence and drive to take the initiative.

If I could solve that - I'd be on my way to achieving the life I have always wanted to master and the goals I have long wanted to reach.

1. DDE profile image26

Wow! A great answer and  sometimes being fed up is all about challenges

working