jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think people can die of heart break

1. Penny G profile image72
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

Do you think people can die of heart break

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

Yes. Some people who've had they're hearts broken by disappointment just give up. When they stop caring what happens, they stop taking care of themselves. That leads to various diseases that will eventually kill them.

3. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 3 years ago

I believe so though I would say it's often an indirect result of not having that person around. Perhaps the one who died was the reason that the living one took care of themselves and without that person, they lose the motivation or the actual help required in doing so. There are spouses who lose their loved ones and die not long after and retirees who are let go or retire and die not long after. What the living may lose is the routine or the connection(s) that came with the one who died before them and they may become depressed and free fall from there in caring for themselves mentally and physically.

Penny Gposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree. I have watched so many people retire from where I work,  and die so soon after. The job was everything to them. Do to the great demand of the job they had to retire and it was as if they lost their best friend.

2. Express10 profile image89
      Express10posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have observed this as well. This is why all people must have a work life balance. Especially when we retire or lose a job we should have a variety of interests and relationships. There is more to life than work.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

It would be a combination of heartbreak and lacking the will to live that might lead a person to neglect basic requirements to maintain their health. They pull away from family and friends and shut down.

5. PowercutIN profile image74
    PowercutINposted 3 years ago

The depression that sets in post heart break can be fatal. People may want to end their life as they can't see anything except for the heart break. A therapist is needed for such people but in most cases, the immediate family  is not that understanding.

Penny Gposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it seems an outside source can be much more effective. Family many times want to sweep things under the rug so to say and not talk about it due to lack of ability to understand the persons deep feeling. Thank you so much for your input.

working