If you died in your home, how long until someone would find you?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

If you died in your home, how long until someone would find you?

(weird I know). This morning I was thinking if it wasn't for my husband and children, if I died in my home it would probably be months before I was discovered. Then I got on Facebook and saw a story of a woman who died and wasn't found for a year even though her daughter lived in another apartment in the home on another story (floor) of the house. So realistically how long would it take for someone to find you, and are there things we can do so that there is a plan in place if we are not heard from in a certain amount of time?

2. profile image0
    Awesome Harryposted 9 years ago

Really nice and thoughtful question. Nothing weird about it at all. Some years ago I had the same concern. But then I realized that there are at least 10 people with whom I stay in touch daily and who get really nervous when do not hear from me at once. Plus, there are my colleagues who almost daily get a feedback from me. So, if I suddenly die home, I am sure within 24 hours my body will be found.

peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good to know you won't be left for a year!

3. LongTimeMother profile image90
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

I can't imagine how a full year would pass without a daughter being unaware her mother was dead ... particularly if they lived in the same building! What about birthdays and Christmas and Mother's Day? And just popping in to share some nice food or good news? Wow. That's sad!

Like you, I am fortunate to have a family who would notice my dead body lying somewhere in the house - and they'd look for me if I'd dropped dead somewhere else as well.  smile

Without my family I could probably stay undiscovered for years in my lovely off-grid home. It's not like the power company would come to disconnect the electricity for non-payment of a bill and wonder what the smell was. lol.

You may have just discovered one of the very few bad sides to being off the grid! Thankfully you have your family around!

2. LongTimeMother profile image90
      LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The peace and quiet while I was alive would have been worth it. smile

4. simonlivingston profile image61
    simonlivingstonposted 9 years ago

Probably instantly, as there are numerous individuals in my household.

If you didn't have them though are there people outside of your home that would check on you?

5. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

peeples......LOL!  About 15 minutes, even though I live alone.  I have my youngest son who lives just down the road and he thinks my back door is the revolving Entrance/Exit at O'Hare Airport.  Some days I think I'm still sleeping and having a nightmare!   "OH!!  Hi honey.....How NICE to see you......................................for the 3rd time ....in the past 2 hours.....how can I help you??"
    That story you shared sounds a bit crazy to me....Like, maybe this daughter KNEW Mama wouldn't be answering the door????   I'm just a little suspicious about that tale!!   smile

Lol! Well at least the positive to the revolving door is someone to find your dead body!! Haha! Hopefully no time soon!

6. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 9 years ago

If Bob and I both dropped dead, no one would find us for quite a while! The cats would have to eat us for sustenance, LOL. I'm thinking of getting a LifeAlert thingy to wear around my neck, or on a bracelet. I tell Bob to carry his phone when he goes out into the yard, because I rarely go outside and couldn't help him if he did have a heart attack.
    Only recently have I started having a relationship with my niece and told her to check on us once a month or so and I would put her in the will!

This was actually my thought. If my husband and I both died at the same time (carbon monoxide or something) we have no one outside the home that would look for us.
      Bribery of the niece? Lol good back up plan!

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Life Alert is an excellent idea.  My mother who is 92 has one

7. OldRoses profile image95
    OldRosesposted 9 years ago

Sadly, it would probably be my employer who would miss me immediately.  My boss is pretty good about if an employee doesn't show up and doesn't call or email, trying to contact that employee to make sure that s/he is okay.  I don't have any family and my closest friend would probably not get concerned for a couple of days.  I suffer from clinical depression so she knows that sometimes I "disappear" for a day or two.  Any longer than that and she does call/email to make sure that I'm okay.

That is great that your boss would check on you.  Certainly better than being left for a year.

8. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

If only one of us died the other would discover it by the end of the day. However if both me and my wife died it may be a few days or up to a couple of weeks before someone might suspect there is something wrong enough to warrant having the police or fireman break down the door,
    On the bright side if we're dead it really won't matter to us! smile
    Seriously; funerals are events for (the living) to publically morn or celebrate the lives of those who have moved on. Whether it's a day or a year the deceased person could care less.

Great point, but the alive me wants the dead me to be found before the rotting begins!! I'm sure, of course, the dead me won't mind stinking the place up.

9. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

Depending on the time of day.  My husband or daughter would try to wake me up at 8:30 at night to tell me I had to get up to go to work.  If I was alone  it may be a little longer.  Maybe my supervisor would try to get a hold of me if I didn't show up and with my reputation at work by showing up ahead of time, I think by day two he would call or even send the police.  Maybe the daughter in that story was scared when she didn't hear from her mother and didn't want to know

Very possible, but the story says the daughter continued to cash checks that came in the mail. So now it's looking like she was leaving her there to collect money.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image60

I didn't read the story so I think I am wrong, oh I know I am wrong.  I heard something about a very overweight man who became fused to his chair and his girlfriend did nothing but feed him for several years until he passed away.

3. peeples profile image92

Oh my, that is just as bad!

4. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow! How does one become fused to a chair? Now that gives new meaning to a couch potato! lol

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image60

Probably not getting up to use bathroom and probably sores on the butt  Google fat man fused to chair.  Or maybe just too big.  It went on for 2 years

10. Joyfulcrown profile image53
    Joyfulcrownposted 9 years ago

OMG.  That's horrible.  I can't believe the daughter didn't notice or visit her mom.  I think someone would notice within no more than 8 hours.

I read more on it. Daughter might have known the whole time and just not reported.

11. B. Leekley profile image86
    B. Leekleyposted 9 years ago

My wife would find me within hours at the most. If the same goblins got us both, we could be dead for days before a relation got worried. A neighbor said he recently went to his brother's funeral; the brother died of diabetes and wasn't found for days.

Glad you won't be left for years!

12. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

This question of yours Peeples make me wonder actually what happens if I die. There is only me and my husband to look after each other. I suppose if I die, my husband will find me and same with him if he dies, I will find him. But for those people who live alone, I do feel for them because if no relations come and visit them, then they won't know that there is a dead person there. It is a sad situation really when you got no one else in life. My family(parents, brothers and sister all live in the Philippines). But if my husband and I both die together, we have a good neighbour next door to us who will report to the police that she has not seen us go out from our home which is right next door to her house.

At least your neighbor would care enough to check in on y'all.

13. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 9 years ago

Even though we just moved to a town where our nearest relative is 2 hours away, I think it might be half a day before we are found, maybe 2 days at the most depending on the day of week it happens.

We both have jobs and the kids are in school and we are somewhat active with the neighbors. We also speak to family everyday, so I hope they would worry if they don't hear from us for two days.

I also find it odd about the daughter not finding her mother for a year. Sounds a bit shady to me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)