jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

Can you believe Richard Starkey, Jr. will be 75 years old in July (born July 7,

1. UnnamedHarald profile image97
    UnnamedHaraldposted 3 years ago

Can you believe Richard Starkey, Jr. will be 75 years old in July (born July 7, 1940)?

AKA Ringo Starr, this picture of him was taken in 2013 when he was 73.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12162158_f260.jpg

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 3 years ago

It feels surreal, like he should still be about 24.

My favorite picture of him is one in which he is 13 years old, flashing a genuine, large smile at the camera as he stands outside his home with his parents. That's 60 years ago, like a Twilight Zone event in my mind as I look at it.

I enjoyed watching Ringo and Paul perform together a few months ago and wonder if they'd consider performing with John's and George's sons on stage, even for one or two numbers?

3. teamrn profile image69
    teamrnposted 3 years ago

Dear Ringo!! I knew the name was familiar (Richard Starkey) but had to look it up just to make sure!

4. lions44 profile image99
    lions44posted 3 years ago

The most underrated drummer of all time. It's amazing all the derogatory remarks I've heard over the years about Ringo. "Anybody could have done that," is the most common.  He's a phenomenal talent and helped create the Beatles' sound.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You are correct imo - not just anybody could have copied or developed Ringo's style and skills, and he's still at performing at age 75.

5. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

Time is so cruel, time is so kind!! Ringo Starr - what a stage name - helped put the Beatles on the map of course. He was the guy always having a laugh, bashing away on his drums whilst the other Fab3 were soaking up the limelight.
    A great character, with that low Scouse accent, he didn't write many classic songs but those he did endeared him to the fans. He went on to become narrator of the brilliant Thomas the Tank Engine children's t.v. programmes.
    We still love Ringo here in the UK. He pops up every so often doing star turns at gigs and what have you. A daft, great icon with a timeless persona.

6. promisem profile image99
    promisemposted 3 years ago

Hard to believe. I still remember being a kid and my brother brought home his first album ever -- and it was the first Beatles album, just released. My father got mad at him for spending money on that stuff...

Where did the time go?

7. profile image0
    fullofshoesposted 3 years ago

ouch. Wasn't it just "yesterday" that I was 12 years old watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan?

8. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

After the Beatles broke up Ringo started up a band of his own and recorded 'Bacup Boogaloo' (Bacup is a town in East Lancashire between Rawtenstall in Lancashire and Todmorden in West Yorkshire on the A681). It achieved the label 'catchy', but no more as I can recall.
    His more recent claim to fame is his voice-over work on 'Thomas The Tank Engine'. (He's probably a great Grandad, with the accent on 'great').
    Also qualifiers for the Grandad role and free bus pass are Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Rick Parfitt, Francis Rossi, Noddy Holder, David Bowie and all. Sort of puts you in perspective, doesn't it? (Me certainly, I was at the Stones' free concert in 1969. I've got my Freedom Pass, you?)

9. AlexK2009 profile image93
    AlexK2009posted 3 years ago

He was always the quiet man, and in the end did better then the rest. I hope I look as good when I'm 73.

10. quildon profile image82
    quildonposted 3 years ago

Ringo Starr! He was my favorite Beatle, so yes, I can believe he is that age now, but he does look good.

working