Have you ever had an MRI?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. WheelerWife profile image75
    WheelerWifeposted 9 years ago

Have you ever had an MRI?

Share what your experience was like!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12354521_f260.jpg

2. Susan Zutautas profile image80
    Susan Zutautasposted 9 years ago

The last MRI I had the technician asked what type of music I'd like to listen to while everything was going on. I was having one done of my entire body because I have lung cancer. Anyways I said rock n roll. Well they played country music and this one song came on and it was a guy singing about how his wife had died and how much he missed her. When you have an MRI they tell you not to move. I was trying so hard to hold back the tears because of the song. I couldn't and I could feel the tears running down my face.  It took all I had not to sob uncontrollably.
    The MRI itself I found quite relaxing but if someone had claustrophobia I could see it being a problem to them.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sad event with a challenging procedure. I am empathetic of your tears. My hat is off to you for the effort to remain still with an emotional moment. Thoughts and prayers are sent to be with you :-)

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 9 years ago

I have undergone an MRI twice about eighteen years apart. The first was of the brain and the heart system. It was a two part procedure for scanning. The first of the brain and heart system. Then I was removed a dye was used through an intravenous (IV) line and they did another imaging of the heart system. The second was the brain only.

I once wrote a hub about the last one since deleted. I may go back and uncover it and publish again. It was definitely interesting. Both events leading up to those MRI's were different circumstances. The first I discovered myself on the floor with a puddle of blood because I apparently had conked out, fell to the ground, and broke my nose :-( Long story leading up to finally discovering myself on the floor. I lived alone then too.

The second event I awoke on the floor too. Different circumstances still unclear today. Again I was alone when it occurred. Another long story, of which there is still no resolve today.

The experience with the MRI itself for me is the only real challenge is you have to remain still as Susan pointed out. Both experiences my head was placed in cage. I guess they wanted to keep that mouse in its place LOL. There were times when they had me take a breath, hold it while remaining still, and then the imaging occurs.

For me the noise was definitely loud. A few of the scannings were somewhat longer than other ones. I put into effect meditation practices to remain still and calm. So, really my mind was not there kinda' except when they would ask me to hold my breath. Then I was within a different sense of awareness.

I just pretended I was being transported to another planet or somewhere in space. The contraption kinda' gives one that Start Trek feeling in a way of being in the transporter room. I pretended the voice I heard was Scotty LOL . . . Overall both experiences were not unpleasant.

I never heard or was explained anything of the first MRI, so I figured no news is good news. The second I received a copy of the summary report. That was comforting or of least better than not knowing the results. However, both times there was not really a complete experience of closure as to why I awoke on the floor. I am stumped still today :-) Oh well . . .

WheelerWifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

hi Tim Mitchell - glad your MRI experiences went well. I agree, I was also surprised at how noisy it was!

4. denise.w.anderson profile image87
    denise.w.andersonposted 9 years ago

It has been a number of years since I had my MRI, but it was one of the most difficult experiences I have ever endured! The machine sounded like automatic rifles or machine guns pointing at my head and going off at various intervals! Thankfully, I am a die-hard musician, and have a ready bank of songs I can sing to myself when I am in distress and need to focus my thoughts. Thankfully, I made it through without moving around, and the read out was valid!

hi Denise W. Anderson - way to go for being able to power through!

5. profile image0
    connieowposted 9 years ago

Only once, it was an "open air" MRI, they scanned my knee. I  liked that so much better than the ones you lie down and get moved into, like the one in the picture. Claustrophobic, so they would have to knock me out to put me in one of those.

Connie S Owens - yes, how lucky you were able to do the open air style! Even if one isn't claustrophobic, there's something about being in that tube for a long time that can get to you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)