jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does chewing gum clean your teeth?

1. Robie Benve profile image98
    Robie Benveposted 2 years ago

Does chewing gum clean your teeth?

Sometimes I am on the go, with no time or no chance to brush my teeth after eating, so I pop a chewing gum into my mouth in the hope that it helps remove food particles and prevent cavities.
    At the minimum it helps with my breath... smile But I wonder: does chewing gum (sugar free) actually help cleaning teeth?

2. Blond Logic profile image98
    Blond Logicposted 2 years ago

I believe it does. Along with apples and peanuts, chewing gum is considered a 'detergent food' for teeth. Since you aren't suppose to brush immediately after eating, these are good choices.  It is best to wait 20-30 minutes after eating to brush. If you work, that isn't always possible if your lunch break  is quite short.

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

i think so. When i chew and suck the gum, it does makes my teeth feel clean, as if brush off all the plaque but not good since it is made up of sugar

4. Kelsey Farrell profile image82
    Kelsey Farrellposted 2 years ago

So long as you use sugar-free gum within 20 minutes of brushing you would be helping with tooth decay--the goal is to get your saliva pumping (which gum chewing does) as this is your body's natural defense to fighting off tooth decay.

5. ShadyAlex profile image71
    ShadyAlexposted 2 years ago

Chewing sugar free gum stimulates saliva production which has a buffering effect on bacterial acids and neutralize the oral cavity for a period of time, So that will decrease the risk of dental caries but not preventing it. So you have to brush your teeth at least twice daily with fluoride toothpaste to protect it against bacterial acids. Caution: Excessive gum chewing may cause TMJ disorders.

working