jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Does chewing a lot of gum make a person fart more?

1. Goody5 profile image68
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

Does chewing a lot of gum make a person fart more?

2. Jason Nicholss profile image61
    Jason Nicholssposted 5 years ago
    1. Goody5 profile image68
      Goody5posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks & I'll check out this hub. The truth is I'm using chewing gum now as an alternative to help quit smoking. Monday will be four weeks!!

3. aspiretoinspire profile image59
    aspiretoinspireposted 5 years ago

Chewing gum can cause a person to swallow more air, and therefore possibly increase the amount of farts.

Source: http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/why-do-people-fart

Oh, and congrats on the progress you're making on quitting smoking!

4. greencha profile image70
    greenchaposted 5 years ago

Absolutely especially when you swallow it!

1. greencha profile image70
      greenchaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

especially if you swallow it when its just been blown into a bubble.

5. profile image58
    Woodpecker27posted 5 years ago

Really?... You know people fart often more than 13 times a day without realizing it, I don't think a little chewing gum is going to matter... Chew On!

6. John MacNab profile image83
    John MacNabposted 5 years ago

As far as I can remember,Goody5, when I was a spotty youth, chewing gum made me fart like a trooper.   Strangely enough, I no longer chew gum, but guess what I still do..... like the self same, but much older, trooper?

7. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 5 years ago

Some people don't need chewing gum.
    But I can say that as you get older we seem to fart more often. Along with the fact that we can't hold a fart as long as we used to be able to do when we where young, they tend to sneak out quietly. Which reminds me of a joke.

--Sunday morning an old couple sitting in church during the ministers sermon, when the old lady starts sniggering and smiling to herself. She leans over to her husband and say's "I've just done a silent fart", her husband turns and looks at his wife, then leans over to whisper in her ear and say's "You need new batteries in your hearing aid"--

Have a great Sunday and sit still in church this morning.
    LOL Ghaelach

working