jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

To those who were fired from a high powered job, do you contend that your life &

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

To those who were fired from a high powered job, do you contend that your life & whatever future

prospects you had are none and that your situation is hopeless at best, even ruined beyond repair with no other recourse but to give up completely or do you instead view your dire circumstance as a new opportunity to do better or begin anew?

2. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

Not fired, but laid off from an international medical records company. I still seriously believe that within the large group that was laid off, it was because they were over 50.
    But, I just went back to my lower powered job back on the laboratory benches of a local hospital.
    Now, that I have retired, I still get offers because of my qualifications, but I have no desire to go back to that high profile type of job only to be discriminated against because I'm a woman, and an older woman now. They want my skills, but they don't want me.
    So, retirement it is and I won't go back, not even part time. I've had to cancel all resumes that I had out in the field, and yet, I still get recruited.
    So, I guess you could say that I have given up completely at the age of 60-65.

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

Not really fired but let go due to downsizing.  But was able to get another job that paid as well due to recommendations of my former employer.  It did take me about 6 weeks to get the job but really did not feel hopeless because I knew that in my heart that I would be working soon and did enjoy the time off to spend time with myself while collecting unemployment

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Being laid off is viewed more positively than being terminated/fired.  A laid off employee doesn't have any stigma but a terminated/fired employee DOES & the chances of h/she obtaining a job is REDUCED, if non-existent!