jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Why do they call them wisdom teeth, and where did the name come from?

1. TheHoleStory profile image79
    TheHoleStoryposted 2 years ago

Why do they call them wisdom teeth, and where did the name come from?

Wisdom teeth aren't at all very useful as far as teeth go. They are literary a pain to have removed, and I've also never heard of the tooth fairy paying any more for wisdom teeth either. They certainly aren't the smartest teeth that are hanging around in your mouth, so why are they called wisdom teeth.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12831591_f260.jpg

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

Wisdom teeth generally erupt between the ages of 17 and 25 - which is when we have gained enough smarts to go on with life. LOL  Sorry, I really do not have a good answer for your question.

According to Wiki: Wisdom teeth erupt much later than the other teeth, at an age where people are presumably "wiser" than as a child,

1. MizBejabbers profile image91
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis, X-rays showed that my lower wisdom teeth never developed. but I still have my two uppers. Does this mean I'm not as wise as I could have been?

2. TheHoleStory profile image79
      TheHoleStoryposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It may mean MizBejabbers that you are only 50% as smart as people out there with all 4 wisdom teeth. Of coarse I'm only joking MizBejabbers, because you are one of the nicest and smartest hubbers out there on the Hub Pages!

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

haha MizB - my lower ones never came in either. Maybe we still contain some wisdom that is yet to surprise  us.

3. possum lover profile image58
    possum loverposted 2 years ago

Our ancient ancestors used wisdom teeth to help grind and chew vegetation. Like the appendix, wisdom teeth have out lived there use for the human body.

1. TheHoleStory profile image79
      TheHoleStoryposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Now that kind of reasoning makes a lot of sense.

4. Rachel L Alba profile image95
    Rachel L Albaposted 2 years ago

LOL !!  That's a good question.  I'm in my 60's and I still have my wisdom teeth.

working