jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What are some natural ways to help my son with his ADD?

1. Amber Mock profile image59
    Amber Mockposted 19 months ago

What are some natural ways to help my son with his ADD?

My 10 year old son has ADD pretty bad, I do not wish to medicate him, but there are times when I can't hardly handle him...

2. PhoenixV profile image68
    PhoenixVposted 19 months ago

I'm not a doctor but I was 10 once. When comparing my old body now to my 10 year old body then I can honestly say I had an infinite amount of energy. Not only more energy but I could utilize all that energy on a handful of blackberries or a banana or a persimmon. I could play all day on a handful of what we called sheepshowers. Nowdays one coke or a snack has a massive amount of sugar. The food around us is fit for metabolisms like hummingbirds. I'd try giving him one apple, a bike, a football, a basketball, a kite, etc etc. etc. But i'm not a doctor.

Amber Mockposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Thank you. He doesn't eat sweets that often and drinks one or two sodas a month. But he isn't as active as I'd like him to be apart from fidgeting constantly. I will definitely try to get him to be more active. Thanks again!!

3. Cynthia Hoover profile image95
    Cynthia Hooverposted 19 months ago

I was diagnosed ADHD as a child and what worked for my mother has worked for others I shared it with. As mentioned PhoenixV refined sugars are horrible. My mother cut out all sweets and any foods with red dye (even some meat has dye injected!). As well as giving smaller more frequent meals of a more natural and organic nature she was able to deal with my troubles without medications. Ample 'free' time to run and burn off energy is a huge help too. I was in gymnastics, swimming lessons, and several other free activities she was able to find in our area. We did the same with my nephew and were able to control his ODD and ADHD much better than the medication he had been put on. Avoid processed foods, refined sugars and food dye and try and push towards an activity that burbs energy (karate, baseball or whatever he is into) and I bet you notice changes! Good luck!

4. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 19 months ago

When I was a child - seventy years plus back, yes I'm eighty - ADD was practically unheard of.  I put that down to the fact that our food was plainwith virtually no added sugar.   Even our intake of fruit and veggies was fairly restricted because there was a World War between my turning three and turning nine.   And even after the war wide varieties of food were hard to get.

That was, of course, in England.   

I might add that fat kids were few and far between.  Those that were a bit plump were generally kids who had some sort of glandular problem - maybe one kid in fifty.  It certainly wasn't through over-eating or lack of exercise.

Sweets were something you might get one or two of in a month.  Deserts after a main course were minimal.  Maybe once a week.

Kids lived outside, played their games, ran wild.  Oh, and walked to school.  Sedentiary pursuits were listening to the radio or playing board games in the evenings and mostly in the colder months when the daylight days were short.

Frankly, kids were not only heaps healthier they were tougher, more resilient.   I rather suspect that 90% of the ADD that occurs today is because of our current lifestyle.

Amber Mockposted 19 months agoin reply to this

I agree with you completely..my son does not drink soda, only juice or water. He may have 1 or 2 sodas a month. Treats are treats, not a food group in my house lol.

5. NewLifeOutlook profile image56
    NewLifeOutlookposted 19 months ago

Hey Amber,

Yoga and meditation have been shown to be quite successful for ADD and ADHD. They can both improve concentration and calm the mind, and are both great activities for overall health!

You may also find essential oils and/or supplements that work for your son. Not everyone finds them effective, but they're a safe option to try out and see if it works for him.

I hope this helps!

working