jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why Are Introverts Discriminated?

1. profile image59
    Mariyah33posted 14 months ago

Why Are Introverts Discriminated?

I am an introvert and most people judge and think I cant fight for myself and they also find me dumb?

2. RTalloni profile image89
    RTalloniposted 14 months ago

It's important to remember that everyone is discriminated against in some fashion. That said, it is impossible to understand your personal concern without knowing you well as an individual.  I know many introverts who are considered quite bright, and quite strong, so perhaps you would want to think about your concerns in a light other than in a connection to being an introvert.

3. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 14 months ago

Hello Mariyah
    over here in our country we get the impression that the USA wants all its countrymen and women to be extroverts and entrepreneurs.

Here, in our country, it is assumed (and wrongly so) that if you don't share your thoughts and opinions especially in group situations, you are not smart. Its very wrong but it happens. Just because one has verbal diarrhoea, doesn't mean one is more intelligent. All that indicates to me, is that, that verbal person, loves to be the centre of attention and could also be a  dominating personality.

However in saying that, joining some kind of speech giving group, like Toastmasters, could build up your confidence and experience in holding your own both verbally and bodily in a group situation. I bet your closest freinds can't get a word in edgewise when you are in a one to one situation. Here the "introverts" excell. You know who are introverts? Doctors, surgeons, psychologists, psychiatrists, artists, some musicians.....there is only one of you and you are a treasure to be shined. Remember that!

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 14 months ago

Our current mistaken popular conceptions are:
    * If you're loud and proud, you're morally and intellectually right, too.
    * The introvert has a personality defect, because social butterflies are held up as the idea and outgoing as the norm.
    * That quiet reflection is a waste of time unless you call it meditation.

All of this leads to bias toward the loud, brash, in everyone's faces over the quiet introverts.

working