What effect does working the night shift have on health?

1. melbel profile image96
    melbelposted 14 months ago

What effect does working the night shift have on health?

2. Larry Slawson profile image96
    Larry Slawsonposted 14 months ago

I don't think it would have any effect on health in the long term.  It is just something that someone has to get used to doing, since you would be sleeping during the day rather than at night.

3. Kristen Haynie profile image96
    Kristen Haynieposted 14 months ago

I would imagine that it would have some effect over the long-term. Humans are wired to sleep at night and be awake during the day. Even though we can train ourselves to get used to a reverse schedule, I think that we are going against our evolutionary nature.

Just for starters, there is definitely evidence of a link between our exposure to sunlight and our happiness and mental well-being. Someone who sleeps all day significantly decreases their exposure to sunlight, and therefore may be increasing their risk of developing depression.

In addition, many people who work at night may develop a feeling that they're missing out on what's happening in the world around them. The vast majority of us operate during the day, which may cause a night-shift worker to begin feeling secluded and left-out. Over a long period of time, this may also have an effect on a person's mental state.

working