jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

Would you prefer working the day or night shift?

1. nina64 profile image81
    nina64posted 5 years ago

Would you prefer working the day or night shift?

I currently work the night and have been for about 7-8 years, and I love it. My reason being is that I can get more things done as far as appointments for myself and my children. I do not have to use up my vacation days. But there have been times when I would get home and I'm dead on my feet. What are your thoughts?

2. The Invincible profile image61
    The Invincibleposted 5 years ago

I used to work in night shifts earlier in the initial stages of my career.. Every time, I came home from work, I felt so pathetic to be doing such job. I would always curse myself of not having achieved what I really wanted to... Moreover, I was becoming an Insomniac...

But, finally I resigned one day and today I am now working in a day shift in my area of interest...
    As it is pretty clear from my statement above, I prefer doing a day job.

P.S - Nothing against people that work all night... Just my opinion!

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I have done both. When I was younger I would have to work 2 jobs and go to school. One during mid afternoon and the other 10-6 in the morning. As far as night shift, I would have loved it if that was the only thing I had going on at the time.

4. lainelongfellow profile image61
    lainelongfellowposted 5 years ago

I have two college degrees but chose to work a retail night shift job instead.  The job is mindless and phsically draining, but by working nights and being home during the day while my husband works, I am able to keep my kids out of daycare.  I have worked day shift in retail and I hated dealing with the rude and demanding customers.  I prefer to work at night because of this.  If I didn't have kids at home who keep me up all day, night shift would be easy, so I don't understand why young, single people with no kids complain about the job.

5. Pauline Davenport profile image59
    Pauline Davenportposted 5 years ago

My first set of nights as a student nurse was on a busy surgical ward in  the early eighties - a huge 37 bed 'nightingale' ward with every possible case in history to take care of . Roller skates would have been a wonderful accessory to work on there as was so long  and so very busy. A lovely memory was sitting on the side of the sink in the ward kitchen at midnight during a much needed break, eating gifted strawberries from a patient, and ice cream, in the dark,  giggling our heads off. Night shifts - definitely the very best

1. nina64 profile image81
      nina64posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I see that you've enjoyed your time working nights as a student nurse. Working nights does have its advantages. Thanks for your participation in answering my question.

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I would have to change my entire sleep system. But otherwise, I love being awake at night. Honestly, I think it would be nice. But my relationship with my partner would suffer because he works during the day.

1. Pauline Davenport profile image59
      Pauline Davenportposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A bit of 'Cox and Box' eh?

2. lburmaster profile image82
      lburmasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am unsure as to what that means...

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I like days, I'm not keen about being out at night.  My husband used to work night, before kids and we liked it.  We could spend our days together before he went off to work.

8. algarveview profile image89
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

Definitely day, I simply don't function at night time, I'm a day person... If I had to do it, oh, well, I would do it, but as a choice I would never work the night shift. Hubby on the other hand is the absolute opposite from me...

9. lostohanababy profile image61
    lostohanababyposted 3 years ago

I prefer days.  If I was to work again.  Get my working over by two or three or four in the afternoon.  And I would still have time to keep a doctors appointment, to stop by the bank, or to go quick grocery shopping in the afternoon, yet, day light hours.