jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Would you rather die before everyone you know or live forever?

1. davidos profile image72
    davidosposted 14 months ago

Would you rather die before everyone you know or live forever?

Dying before all of your loved ones, or living to see them all die, and living to see everyone you ever meet die?

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image92
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 months ago

Interesting question. I have already outlived my entire extended family and have no relatives now for about 20 years. All but two of my non-online friends have died and one of those has disappeared. So I guess I could handle living forever, as long as there is something to do; and I think there always will be.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 14 months ago

As I believe that we are a Center of Life Itself, temporarily inhabiting a physical body (which our living in it wears it out) and that the physical dimension is only one of infinite dimensions in which we either live in now (staddle) at the moment or will at some time inhabit, it doesn't matter much one way or the other.   We're immortal beings,is what I'm saying.
    Dr. Roberto Assagioli put it pretty well by saying "We are a center of consciousness with a will.  We have bodies, minds and emotions but these BELONG to us.  They are not the essential us.

Like the previous writer, most of this life's 'significant figures' (I'm 80) have already passed on.   More have gone than remain.  But as I know I'll see them all again sometime (in one or another of the dimensions called heaven) I'm quite looking forward to the transitions...providing its reasonably peaceful.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 14 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13429233_f260.jpg

Death is what gives life it's importance.
    Knowing time is running out motivates us to make the most of it.
    Living forever would be a curse especially if you are the only person on the planet with the ability to do so and worse yet if the body continues to age dramatically. Being (healthy) matters.
    There is a big difference between (living) and existing!
    Having said that I believe I would rather die before my wife.
    As for everyone else it doesn't matter if they die before me.
    I have no children and therefore I have no grandchildren.
    Naturally if I did I would also want them to outlive me as well.
    "Death never takes the wise man by surprise, he is always ready to go." - Jean de La Fontaine

1. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Go where?    If we go somewhere there is somewhere to go to.   If there isn't, it's no big deal because conscious identification with a self will have ceased.  It's a win-win.

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 14 months agoin reply to this

I assume Jean de La Fontaine  means to leave this earthly life. Some folks believe in heaven or an afterlife and death is just a "transition" not the end of one's spiritual existence.

5. iantoPF profile image80
    iantoPFposted 10 months ago

Not sure about "Forever" Living until entropy has flattened out the Universe and there is just nothing doesn't sound like fun.
    Having said that, the problem of mortal life is that it feels as if I have walked into a movie somewhere in the middle and I have to leave before it ends. I would like to be able to hang out here to see how this Earth works out.
    Loved ones dying before me? ok, I can handle that.

working